RapidMiner

Version 6: Community Edition?

Regular Contributor

Be rational, stick on 5..

Hi Folks,

Quite difficult to figure out the changes, but to an old hand ( 5+ years ) it looks like this ...

The new arrangement presents an upside for the free version users, in that future versions will arrive pre-debugged by paying users who will have already found the naughties. This represents a great deal for those that wait, zero payment, and no grief. I can only marvel at a world where other people will work and pay to mitigate the plight of those that will do neither...

In particular this shows that Ingo's advice was spot on ~ best for Earmijo and others to wait until Rapidminer Studio/Server gets to version 7 before they ditch 5; sorry if previous posts didn't make this explicit.

Best

H
Contributor

Re: Version 6: Community Edition?

Hi Folks,

While we are happy that RapidMiner 5 will remain legally free to use by the Community, I have to express severe disappointment with the change in policy for RapidStudio 6 onwards. In this I would like to take the example for R. The latest and greatest versions are always free and those who want support will purchase it from Revolution Anaytics and other providers. That doesn't change.

In the same way, I did expect that a fully functional free version of RapidStudio 6 would become available at the same time as a commercially licensed product. Obviously, the commercial version would have many more features. But having to wait for a CE version of RapidStudio 6 till after RapidStudio 7 comes along, it may be a long wait.

I can give examples from many other open source projects such as JasperReports and Pentaho which always offer a CE version when they introduce a new version of their product.

IMHO, I'm not sure if it is a reasonable approach and some of us may have to move on to other Analytics platforms despite our being in love for RapidMiner.

Best
SG
Elite

Ingo, Haddock and other:

Thanks for clarifying all my doubts. I guess the changes took us by surprise and initially (at least me) we were confused about what they meant for us.

I have always been and I will always be grateful to Rapidminer (and the folks @ RM) for letting me use a superb software package in my class. No other program comes close to ease of use and completeness (features for everything I can think of).
My students love it. 

I understand perfectly that companies have to make money to survive, and I see no fault whatsoever in doing so. I wish you well in your new project. 
RMStaff

Hi Earmijo,

Thanks for your kind words.  I fully agree that the communication of the changes have not been optimal and we have spent the last couple of days to optimize the explanations on our web site.  Our new comparison at

http://rapidminer.com/products/rapidminer-studio/#compare

should make it much clearer now that everybody can use the Starter edition for free for an unlimited time - or can continue to always use the previous major versions as Community edition (also have a look at the banner below the comparison table).  As said above, we basically have more options now for both community users and professionals within the industry - and nobody is losing anything but is getting more choices to pick from.

At the same time we belief that the new powerful versions of RM 6 will be attractive to our customers and helps us to grow which at the end will again be favorable for all involved parties:  our customers, RapidMiner, AND our community.

Thanks again for your patience until we managed to get our message across and for the points and hints you gave us in conversations like this here.

Best,
Ingo

P.S.:  We also have created a FAQ page around RapidMiner here in the forum at http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7405.0.html

How to load processes in XML from the forum into RapidMiner: Read this!
Regular Contributor

Why pay for version 6?

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your generous acknowledgements, just like the old days! For those of us who quite unreasonably haul data from databases this starter version sounds absolutely ideal, and fully lives up to the publicity of cracking big data......:^?

I'm not entirely sure why it is better to pay you Euros 999 in  order to get at data in these pesky databases, when I could pay you nothing and continue to do it with version 5 ~ I see I get some templates and some new icons, but I also get the bugs of a new version.

So, my questions remain....

Why pay for Rapidminer Studio ?

Why not stay with 5 and keep the money ?

PIP PIP

RMStaff

This is the great thing about having options and living in a modern world:  You are free to choose whatever suits you needs best.  And if staying with the previous version is the best thing for you this is great!  That’s why we offered this option in the first place.  I am a happy man that I finally managed to make even you happy…   Smiley Wink

I do of course not agree with your assessment of RapidMiner 6 but here again I cannot force you to like it.  Here are good reasons to use it for all others:

• Application wizards make predictive analytics accessible to everyone, particularly business managers and business analysts.  And even experienced users can efficiently build complete solutions by using the underlying processes as a starting point.  We started with the 4 most common applications but more and more applications will be added over time.

• Completely revised reviews of data, statistics, and other results.  RapidMiner now produces a selection of charts and visualizations automatically, choosing the most appropriate settings based on data properties.  With this anyone can produce professional-looking data visualizations in minutes.

• The new statistics view allows users to sort and filter the most important statistics for their data for a quick, high-level overview.  You can then drill down and produce full statistics for each column, distribution charts and additional advanced information.  Color-coding makes it easier to find the predicted values or confidences for predictions out of very large data sets.

• Improved usability for process design, e.g. more automated process fixes.  Also improved the user experience on Mac.

• Improved export and print options.

• Completely revised the Filter Example operator making it now much easier and faster to set up filters.

• New tutorials.

• Dozens of performance improvements and bug fixes.

• Finally our new licensing framework allows all editions of RapidMiner Studio to contain all features as opposed to different community and enterprise versions in the past – bringing all enterprise features for both Studio and Server to ALL users, even for those of the free and not-time-limited Starter edition. This includes the web-based reporting, profilers, new data editors and much more.

We have gotten a lot of very positive feedback on RM 6 so far but if the list above is not attractive for you: Perfectly fine with me…

Cheers,
Ingo

P.S.:  More information is also available in our FAQ at http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7405.0.html as well in our press release at http://rapidminer.com/news-posts/rapidminer-v6-0/

Regular Contributor

Version 5 still looks the best!

Hi again,

Not sure that answered my question. To use few words and to be clear, these benefits will not apply to database miners unless they pay Euros 900?

H
RMStaff

Why not stay with 5 and keep the money ?

How could my answer above possible NOT answer your question?  ???

Anyway, short question, short answer:

these benefits will not apply to database miners unless they pay Euros 900?

Not until RM 7 is released.

Since I talked about options before and you seem to want a short description of those, here we go:

• Price-savvy users ("Give me the free stuff"):  RM 5 (Community Edition) or RM 6 Starter - both completely free and unlimited in time.  RM 5 without the new benefits but on larger data sets / all sources.  RM 6 with new benefits but restricted to smaller data sets / few data sources in the Starter Edition (can be upgraded - see below)

• Professional users:  Multiple, easy to understand tiers to get the benefits described above with Personal, Professional, and Enterprise editions.  This makes it easier to let the software grow with your demands in contrast to just offering one single big, expensive package for everybody.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ingo

Regular Contributor

Big Data, bigger bills!

G'Day Ingo!

Sorry to be picky on this but..

I was asking what the benefits of 6 actually are, given that database miners would have to pay for them. Your answer points to the templates to which I refer and other exciting benefits. For database miners these cost USD 999 each year.

But it doesn't stop there, does it? What about people whose problem solution needs more than 4G of RAM, they have to pay USD 2999 each year for the same benefits, and the cost for bigger than 8G is unmentioned. Looking over this forum this need is not rare, and can even be caused by the operators ( Association Rules ).

This amounts to "Big Data, big bills" vs "Big Data zero bills"; as you say we all have the freedom to choose, best to do it rationally, based on cool reflection upon costs and benefits, don't you think ?

PIP PIPH
RMStaff

And I thought already that I finally managed to make you happy.  What was your point then with all the discussion about staying with RM 5 in the first place?  Actually no need to answer, we all know that you sometimes just love to argue  Smiley Tongue

More power comes with price.  This is true for almost all aspects of life.  To name a few examples:

• Cars with more horse power

• Faster internet connections

• Faster computers for quicker calculations

• Larger database systems paid per CPU or node

I could go on forever.  With the advent of cloud computing this is even more widely seen than ever before:  It is absolute normal to pay more for more powerful instances on, for example, Amazon AWS and hence often also more for the software running on those.  As we both know, you have easily accepted to pay more for better hardware since your existing one has not been sufficient for your analysis, but you are not accepting this for your software?  Interesting, to say the least.

I believe all has been said about this.  You found your option, others will find theirs.  I am sure everybody will make a rational decision even without your support.

Best,
Ingo