Can RM visually cluster and relate topics from the content of a book?

millardjmelnykmillardjmelnyk Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

What I want to do is take unstructured text as found in a book whether fiction ornon-fiction and get a visual that shows topics, clusters passages/sentences according to topic, and relates them semantically. 

I have two purposes for this. First, as a writer, to compile notes written over almost two decades so that I can find everything I've written related to a topic of interest. Second, as a reader, to map books and quickly find passages related to a topic of interest.

Can RM do this? Or am I barking up the wrong tree investigatint text analysis tools? Maybe there's a simpler type of software to do this?

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Hi there.

Welcome to boards. RapidMiner can do this but it doesn't come as a prepackaged type of system, so you'd have to build the processes to do all of that and possibly hack some R or Python.

Another possible easier way is to investigate using the following 3rd party extensions: Aylien and Rosette. They have support for sentence and entity extraction, taxonmy categorization, and topics.

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder

Hi,

Another good starting point for text analytics with RapidMiner is also this video series here:

http://vancouverdata.blogspot.com/2010/11/text-analytics-with-rapidminer-loading.html

It is a bit outdated but the concepts still hold.  And then there of course the 3rd party tools T-Bone has mentioned.

Hope this helps,

Ingo