No menu bar loading on MacOS High Sierra

jclunisjclunis Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

I'm trying to install Rapid Miner on Mac and am running High Sierra, there is no menu bar loading and I am wondering if anyone else has faced this issue and might be able to offer a solution. I have the latest Java version installed. Without a menu bar, I am unable to update licence or access any menu function. Please help. 

Tagged:
0 votes

Fixed and Released · Last Updated

This should have been fixed with the release of Mac OS X "High Sierra" 10.13.5 (and/or 10.13.6). If there are further issues, please ping us.

Comments

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @jclunis - I deleted your other post as it was a duplicate.  I am happy to help you here.

I am running Mac 10.12.6 (Sierra) with no issues whatsoever.  I have not yet upgraded to 10.13 (High Sierra)...I will give it a try.  Meanwhile can you please take a screenshot so I may see your issue?

[Edit: just double-checked and 10.13 is still in beta.  I would highly recommend downgrading to the official stable 10.12.]

Scott

• jclunisjclunis Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

Hello, Thank you for your response.  I have attached a screenshot here for you to see. I have considered that the beta may be the issue, but I seem not to be able to downgrade since I also updated to the new apple file system. Do you think it is impossible to get it to work displaying the menu?

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 4.15.57 PM.pngsee lack of menu bar

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @jclunis ok thanks for that.  My hunch is that you have a conflict with "Spaces"/"Mission Control".  This is a known RapidMiner/Mac issue that has been around for a while.  It's not a big deal to fix; just MAKE SURE THE CHECKBOX "Displays have different spaces" IS NOT CHECKED:

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 4.35.50 PM.png

If that does not work, here are some things to check before uninstalling 10.13:

- are you using more than one monitor?  The menu bar may be elsewhere.

- you said you upgraded Java...normally this is not needed to be done manually.  Which version did you install?  Please go to Terminal and enter "java -version" after shell prompt.

- I assume you have tried re-installing RapidMiner 7.6.1 and/or trying RapidMiner 7.6.0?

Scott

Hello. Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have checked the spaces/mission control issue as you said and reconfigured it but it did not solve the problem for me. I have the latest version of java 1.8.0_144

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but not installing a lower version. I will try that and see if it makes a difference. 

If you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear them. 

hello @jclunis - those are all the ideas I have for the moment.  Just curious - what is this icon up on top of your screen?  

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 8.45.27 PM.png

Scott

That's an app called Magnet for splitting the screen into sections specified and constrained by the app. It's not currently active. Although running. I can disable and test but don't think it has anything to do with things as you have to configure it to work. I thank you for your suggestions and efforts on my behalf although I am pretty much out of ideas to try as well. I noticed you mentioned getting an earlier version of rapidminer but I am not sure how to go about that. 

hi @jclunis - ok THAT I can answer easily :)  Log into your rapidminer account and go to the downloads section (where you downloaded the software to begin with.  Scroll down to the very bottom and you should see this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 1.21.28 PM.png

Scott

hello again @jclunis - ok this menu bar vanishing act just happened to me just now.  No idea what I did to provoke this but clearly something is going on AND it is not due to High Sierra.  I was able to get it back when I started a new blank process.  Stay tuned.

Scott

I truly look forward to a fix, because I really need to use rapid miner for a course I am taking and I am unable to do any work at home simply because of the menu issue. I can't figure out what could be wrong so if someone else figures it out that would be awesome. 

hi @jclunis - yes I have notified the dev team and they are working on it.  Meanwhile can you please help by taking a video screencapture of your RapidMiner boot, showing the lack of menu bar?  An easy way to do this is by using QuickTime Player.

Thanks.

Scott

• glageglage Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

Any new update with this issue? I am having the same issue. I don't know if is related to High Sierra or Java. Please help!

Attached video with the issue

Hello @glage - thank you this is very helpful.  Unfortunately no news at the moment but can you please check something for me?  Can you please go to System Preferences -> Mission Control and take a screenshot of your settings there?  It should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 8.40.10 AM.png

Thanks.

Scott

Replicated your setting and still the same issue.... 

Thanks

GL

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 11.46.12 AM.png

hmm ok.  Please confirm exact Mac OS version.  You using more than one external monitor?

so assuming none of that helps, I will pass along what I heard from dev team about this today.  Seems to be an issue with JDK 8 https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8188085 so we're waiting for a fix from that end.  The not-so-ideal workaround is to go back to Java 6.  See here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US.

Scott

I’m using MacOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta
    I’m using two monitors, but all testing, video, and screenshoot was without the external monitor

Thanks
    Thanks sounds about right. I think this happened when I updated Java. I will see if I can downgrade and let you know
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering

Hi,

this seems to be caused by a bug that Apple introduced. Following the discussion in the link posted above, it seems Apple will fix this with a future patch, whenever that will come around:

Sergey Bylokhov added a comment - 2017-10-10 18:56
    I got a confirmation from Apple that this is a known issue, and the fix is in progress.

Regards,

Marco

OK did a lot more research on this and, as @Marco_Boeck says, it is affecting a LOT of applications (Adobe, Autodesk and many others reporting same issue).  HOWEVER I found a potential easier workaround until the Java/Apple issue gets sorted.  It seems that this menu bar only disappears if the default language of your Mac is NOT ENGLISH:

NOTE:This only affects users that have their operating system language (not the PDF Studio language setting) set to something else besides English.

(source: https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/macos-high-sierra-menu-items-not-showing/)

So maybe try just changing your default language to English until this gets fixed?

Scott