Repeating ID Excel Import Newbie Question

larslars Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi all,

I have been searching the forum and watched most of the videos but am still at the very beginning. So please bear with me. 

I am still learning and at the moment and am using a simple Excel file with 3 attributes (see screenshot) I imported the data via "add data".

What I have is simply a list of 4 projects and ratings for specific areas for each of the project area. The project ID is repeated 5x per project to match each area. When I import the data I have 20 example sets (5each per project ID). I now want to run simple stats on this data (distribution of high-medium -low per project ID, maybe decision tree etc) 

How do I work with this data, at the moment I get stats for 20 different example sets and not for 4 projects with 5 subareas. Not sure it makes sense but should be more obvious with the screenshot. Maybe you could point me in the right direction re knowledge base. Trying to step up to Rapidminer from Excel Pivots..

Many thanks for your help 

Lars

excelimport.JPG

Best Answer

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,497 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted

Dear Lars,

two operators are of major importance for you. 

Aggregate: Aggregate works like a SQL-Aggregate. You can group by coloums and generate statistics like average, std_dev, count etc. It reads a like "count(level) per projectId per Area".

Pivot: Pivot rotates your table. You can get a table like:

ProjectID, Area_A, Area_B, Area_C

with levels in the cells.

I think the Excel Pivot is for some mysterious reason a combination of both.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany

Answers

• larslars Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hi Martin, thanks so much. Exactly what I was looking for !!

All the best 

Lars

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

One of the more handier RapidMiner operators would be the Aggregate operator. You could group by the ID letter and Area and then do a count, mode, etc of the Level value. Give that one a try, it's a great!