Teradata connection pending

CarlosBCarlosB Member Posts: 10 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

I went into the "manage dabase drivers" opion in RapidMiner Studio and I created an entry for Teradata.  I then went into "manage database connections" and I created an entry to connect to a Teradata database.  I tested by pressing the "Test" button and it told me "Connection OK".  I then went into the repository tab and I tried to expand my teradata connection, but all I get is a "Pending..." under the connection tree item.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  My connection string looks like this:  jdbc:teradata://MY_SERVER/LOGMECH=LDAP.    See attachment for what I mean by "Pending".

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JeffChowaniecJeffChowaniec Employee, Member Posts: 14 RM Data Scientist
    Solution Accepted

The issue is with the TerraData driver. The way we treat TerraData causes problems with the database repository view. On the other hand, all of the database operators still work and the connection is fine. I.E. you can use the read database operator and pull in the data from the TerraData database connection even though the repository view gives you an error.

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

It might trying to fetch the metadata of all the tables. It could take a bit.

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

I would recommend to turn off the meta data fetching in the preferences.

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • CarlosBCarlosB Member Posts: 10 Contributor I

I just turned off "Evaluate SQL meta data" in "settings / preferences / user interface / miscellaneous":  see attachment.    Still have the same problem.  

OK, now I get a message in the log.  It states:

Mar 3, 2017 11:37:08 AM SEVERE: could not create repository action: class com.rapidminer.repository.gui.actions.StoreProcessAction

I'm not sure if this is in response to my attempt to connect to Teradata.

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Were you trying to write something the Teradata database?

I was just trying to select.  No writes.

@Marco_Boeck do you have any experience with Teradata? I'm not sure what's going on with his connection here.

I just tried connecting to my Oracle database and I have the same exact problem.   Are there any logs I can look at?

OK, after waiting a long time, the oracle connection worked, but it gave me several messages such as:
    Mar 7, 2017 10:57:01 AM WARNING: Failed to fetch column meta data for table <SCHEMA.TABLE_NAME goes here>: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01427: single-row subquery returns more than one row
    Someone earlier in this thread suggested that I turn off meta data fetching.  Can someone tell me where exactly that is done?  I attached an image where I think it should be done.

Going to sum up my findings here:

1.  It looks like the database connection folder in the repository tab works fine for small databases.   The bigger the database, the longer it takes.  All my databases of interest are huge, so I cannot use this RapidMiner feature.

2. I just created a new process and I dropped the "Read Database" widget on the form and I used it to connect to both my Oracle and Teradata databases.   It worked and it brought back data.  Good enough for me.

Thanks everybody for your help.