Options

RM 5 plugin development

PrekoPreko Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi All,

I have developed several plugins for RM 4.6, but now they are not working anymore in 5.0.
I get it, that it had to be rewritten and there is a new API, but it is very hard to get started with plugin development for 5.0 as there is no documentation yet.
I have started to reverse engineer the new extensions, but it is really hard to get the philosophy. Can anyone post some words on how to get started or how to transform 4.6 plugins to 5.0?
When can we expect some documentation? It is kind of urgent.

Thanks, Zoltan
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Zoltan,
    I know we are lacking a documentation and I'm working on it. But unfortunately there are so many urgent things to do right now. I cannot give my word, when it will be available.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    PrekoPreko Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
    Hi,

I do not need your word, just a solid guess. :)
    To make it more simple: I have to submit a detailed project plan for RM 5.0 plugin development in two weeks. Is there any chance that the documentiation will be ready next week, or should I continue reverse engineering?

Thanks, Zoltan
  • Options
    cherokeecherokee Member Posts: 82 Maven
    Hi Zoltan,

I've finished reverse engineering---at least the parts I needed for plugin development. I've you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    chero
  • Options
    Pascal_WelkePascal_Welke Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    Hi,
    i´m working on plugins for RM, too. I´ve developed some operators, which worked well with RM 4.6 but are not recognized by RM 5. Is it just a matter of new description files that need to be written? Or are there deep changes in the declaration of operators?

Greetings
    Pascal
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi all,
    I continued working on the white paper yesterday and it is nearly finished. We are currently thinking about the way we want to publish it, either free for all or for a small fee in the shop. But anyway I hope it will be available this week.

It describes shortly how to develop operators, what has changed and how the configuration files are built.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    NoSilverNoSilver Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Will there by something like a Example-Plugin or a skeleton.
    I also wrote some operators but i do not get them to work anymore.
  • Options
    Hi,
    yes, that will be part of the tutorial package. We will publish within the next days. I nearly finished writing, but nobody found the time for checking it, yet :)

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    holgerholger Member Posts: 42 Contributor II
    I've created a maven archetype to create plugins for RM5. It's parameterized (name, author, namespace, etc.) and creates a kind of skeleton (which can be compiled and runs out of the box in RM). Tell me if you're interested.

-Holger
  • Options
    Hi all,
    I made it, finally it took me a full week. The tutorial is available now and has somehow overgrown a tutorial: It more or less became a little book...The first version is available in our shop now (as other open source companies, we can't do everything for free). I'd be happy about any suggestions how to improve it further.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Great work!  :)

If I buy it now, do I get free updates for a certain time-span, or do I have to rebuy it every month?

Cheers, Holger
  • Options
    Hi Holger,
    you will be able to always download the most recent version. Unfortunately we have some problems with the shop. I had to remove it again :(

Ok, I will tackle that on Monday again...

Greetings and a nice weekend,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

you will be able to always download the most recent version.
    Sebastian forgot three words here: "...for one year". I thought I quickly jump in before he will be cited with this forever  ;)

Hence, the whole sentence should read

"You will be able to always download the most recent version for one year".

After purchasing the document, you will find the most recent version of it in a specific part of our web site after you have logged in until one year after the purchase date. This way it is ensured that the document is independent of the version you started with and you don't have to buy it twice, once for let's say version 5.6 and once for version 6.0 (release two weeks later...). I think this is a quite fair model.

All the best,
    Ingo
  • Options
    It's a nice model, so could you please add it to the shop? :-)

-Holger

• Options
    Hi all,
    so it finally has made it to the shop and I'm eager to count the orders :)

Greetings,
      Sebastian