Is version 2.4 useable now as opensource ?

kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi, I understood that with every new major release the older one becomes fully available as open source. I was able to get the no expire license key for studio 6.4, but for the server it only shows an unusable expired license, meaning it remains the starter edition by default even if there is a new major release.

Is this on purpose or am I missing something?
Tagged:

Answers

• JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    That was under the old licensing model. 
    As far as I understand it, the new licensing model doesn't include an open source option for the server. 

What is the need for the open source version of the server? 
  • kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    One of the reasons we choose for rapidminer was the fact that we could use the previous mayor versions as open source, or for free.
    It's a bit disappointing to learn now that the licensing systems have been changed, it feels like promises made in the past don't men that much on the longer term
  • MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
    Hello Kayman,

just for the record - V2.5 is no new major release. So no promises broken.

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • kaymankayman Member Posts: 662 Unicorn
    Ok, fair enough ;-)
    I was just wondering this because the older version (1.x) is no longer available and both 2.4 and 2.5 are offered now as separate versions.
  • JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Thanks for the update on that Martin, it wasn't really clear from the information I've seen previously. 
    Do you know why the Sourceforge pages have been cleared (just noticed)? 

Seems the only way for people to get older versions of RapidMiner Server is through personal links, is that right?