CVS Access from Eclipse 3.3.1

haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi Folks!

I've been trying to access CVS using the details documented, but anonymous access without a password is getting refused. What am I missing?

Answers

• homburghomburg Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 114 RM Data Scientist
    Hi haddock,

the anonymous access to the RapidMiner repository should be possible using the connection parameters as described here:

http://rapid-i.com/content/view/25/48/.

Another reason for the connection problems may be temporary high traffic on the sourceforge servers. In such cases it can be possible that the occurring delay may exceed a certain limit, making a successful connection impossible. Currently the only solution to this problem is to wait a few hours and to try again. Since this state of affairs is not a very convenient one, we are working on a new repository implementation.

Regards,

Helge
  • haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi,

In my first post on this I said I used the documented settings. I've tried repeatedly today using the same settings. Same results, logging in as "anonymous" with no password always reports an authentication error. All suggestions gratefully received, especially if they work!

Good weekend to all...

• TobiasMalbrechtTobiasMalbrecht Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 294 RM Product Management
    Hi,

since you used the documented settings, I think this might be a problem of sourceforge. In the last few weeks we often had problems accessing the sourceforge CVS, presumably because of the high traffic as mentioned by Helge. Hence, as Helge already also said, we are planning to implement another repository solution. Because of our high workload at the moment and Ingo being on vacation, this will take some time. Nevertheless at the latest on monday, we will check if there might be some change in the anonymous CVS access settings or another potential reason why you could not access the CVS. Until then, sorry for the inconvenieance ...

Have a nice weekend,
    regards,
    Tobias
    Cool, I've just got to get at the metacost operator soon  ;D
  • TobiasMalbrechtTobiasMalbrecht Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 294 RM Product Management
    Hi,

today we checked the anonymous CVS access. The access was relatively slow, but there have been no problems with authentication. Hence, I think Helge is right that the authentication error you experienced is "only" caused by the aforementioned high traffic on the sourceforge servers and the resulting eclipse CVS time-out which then causes to the authentication error. Since, as I said, we will not be able to install a new repository in the short term, the only workaround to gain access to the CVS at the moment is to try again later in the case that high traffic temporarly prevents you from checking out RapidMiner. But I promise, we are definitly working on a new repository, since we appreciate the conveniance of an available and performant repository as much as you do!

Regards,
    Tobias
    Hi,

All most mysterious...I take it that the following is still the correct address

:pserver:anonymous@yale.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvs/yale

Because I can see it in the CVS repositories pane, and I get a quick connection..... it's authentication that fails - Incorrect user or password

I've extended my timeout, but that doesn't help either.  I have no problem with the Eclipse CVS, so I'm getting very puzzled.

Help!
    Hi,
    haddock wrote:

:pserver:anonymous@yale.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvs/yale
    in my eclipse settings it is

:pserver:anonymous@yale.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/yale

Maybe changing the directory to the correct path should work? Otherwise I have definitly no idea why it does not work ...

Regards,
    Tobias
    Indeed, silly me ! I think it got inadvertently changed when I switched the timeout. So Helge was right all along, and now all is fine.

Apologies and thanks  :-\
    Hi,

no problem. The main thing is that it works now!  So enjoy the bugfixes and extensions of the new developer version ... :)

Regards,
    Tobias
  • martynsmartyns Member Posts: 15 Maven
    I am trying to access this using the newerEclipse 3.4 and not having any luck.

Cannot connect to host, connection timed out.

Should this still be working?
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

I have just upgrage to Eclipse version 3.4 (Ganymede) and did not experienced any problems at all. CVS access works as usual so I assume that this is simply the usual SourceForge timeout. This is actually really annoying since they have very slow connections recently. The only solution unfortunately is: retry it later (best time seems to be _not_ during the morning / evening hours in US).

Cheers,
    Ingo