Connecting Via ODBC

macctenmaccten Member Posts: 28 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi All

I wish to connect to teradata warehouse using rapid-miner
I see on the read database operator that you can connect to any database using a URL
Is it possible to connect using existing ODBC setups
So for example we have other programs like MS Access that can connect using existing ODBC connections by just pointing to it in the ODBC manager
Does rapidminer have this ability

Thanks for your help

Answers

• JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Rapidminer is written in Java and so uses JDBC rather than ODBC for connection.  This means that if you wish to connect via an ODBC driver you would need to use the ODBC:JDBC bridge driver (which RapidMiner has installed) however this means that the ODBC driver must be installed on the client machine for it to work. 

In the case of Teradata though, I think it comes with a JBDC driver which you can download alongside instructions on how to make connections here: http://www.razorsql.com/docs/connection_teradata.html

Hope that helps!
  • macctenmaccten Member Posts: 28 Contributor II
    Hi JEdward

Thank you for your prompt reply
    I am only going to use this on a local machine which already has the ODBC driver
    Could you tell me what i fill in for the host and the IP Address
    Excuse the ignorance of the question but i have very little experience with Java and ODBC uses IP Addresses in our setup

Thanks