Options

"Database Connection In RM 5 using SQL"

sudheendrasudheendra Member Posts: 22 Maven
edited June 2019 in Help
Hai,

I am using RM 5.0 version. I am not able to connect to database. I am getting error like "jdbc driver is missing". I have already placed particular jar files in lib folder.

Thanks,
Sekhar
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    the jdbc drivers have to be copied to the lib/jdbc directory. To which database are you trying to connect?

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    ElPatoElPato Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    Hello,

I am having this same problem as well with RM 5.0. I am trying to connect to an Oracle database and the database driver cannot be located by the application. I have moved the ojdbc14.jar file into the lib/jdbc folder of RapidMiner 5 and restarted RapidMiner a dozen times and the driver never shows up as being available within the "Tools -> Show Database Drivers" window. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    I wasn't aware that oracle needs some extra effort. Sorry about this, but one simply cannot keep track of everything that's going on in such a huge programming project. As I have been told, we have wiki page with instructions how to add these drivers. It can be found on http://rapid-i.com/wiki/index.php?title=JDBC_Drivers

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick reply , Sebastian! Unfortunately, I am still having difficulty getting the driver to be recognized. I referred to the wiki page you referenced and the instructions listed there were different than what are listed in the "jdbc_properties.xml" file in the /resources/com/rapidminer/resources directory. (There were only two instances of the the xml file in the RapidMiner folder and the wiki said not to use the one in /etc, so I am assuming this is the one I need to modify.)

I added the following line to the xml file under "<driver name="Oracle" and placed the Oracle jdbc driver in C: (I would like to put it with the rest of the drivers in the RapidMiner folder but don't know what the path should be in the xml file).
    driver_jar="C:/ojdbc14.jar"

The driver was still not being recognized when I restarted RapidMiner. I then copied the entire jdbc_properties.xml file and placed it in .Rapidiner5 directory of my home diectory and restarted RapidMiner(like the xml file says). When I did this, I was not even able to "Show Database Drivers" within RapidMiner ... the window never appeared.

Obviously, I know I am doing something wrong, but if you could provide me explicit instructions as to how to recognize the JDBC driver, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for your assistance and keep up the wonderful work!

Regards,
    David
  • Options
    Hi,
    you edited the wrong file. You overlooked, that the file must be in the user home/.RapidMiner5 directory. I have updated the description to make it more clear.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Thanks again for your help, Sebastian! I was able to get it working this time. I did want to give you a brief rundown on what my experience was to get this working.

1. By default, there was not a "jdbc_properties.xml" file in my home/.RapidMiner5 directory, so I copied the entire file that was in /resources to that home directory as the wiki suggested. I modified the file to add the path to the jar file for the Oracle driver.
    2. When I loaded RapidMiner and chose to "Show Database Drivers", I saw duplicate listing for every single driver, but the Oracle driver was showing green.
    3. I closed RapidMiner and deleted all the default drivers from the xml file in the home directory leaving only the listing for the Oracle driver.
    4. I restarted RapidMiner and there were the appropriate number of listings for each driver.

Thanks for the quick response and for all the assistance!