"Excel-Import doesn't work for Strings like '4711"

swbfinoswbfino Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help
Hi,

I try to import data via ExcelExampleSource, which works fine, but when I have a column like

'4711 RapidMiner always converts it as integer, but it should be nominal (value type).
In Excel it is a string as "value type".

Does anyone know the solution?
Cheers
Tom
Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I cannot reproduce this. If I try to import an excel file with just this string, it's correctly identified as polynominal. Could you please post your process xml?

Regards,
    Marco
  • swbfinoswbfino Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Here we go

<operator name="Root" class="Process" expanded="yes">
        <operator name="ExcelExampleSource" class="ExcelExampleSource">
            <parameter key="excel_file" value="U:\rm_sampel_excel_string.xls"/>
        </operator>
    </operator>

Again:
    If i try to import a file like
    test_var
    '4711
    '4712
    '4713

the value type is integer
    Cheers
    Thomas
  • colocolo Member Posts: 236 Maven
    Hi,

I guess you two are using different versions of RapidMiner ;)
    At least it seems that Thomas is using something older since I started with version 5.0 and "ExcelExampleSource" does not sound familiar to me.

Regards
    Matthias
  • swbfinoswbfino Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Hi Matthias,

I guess you are right because I use still V4.2 instead of 5.x, bit is this the reason?
    May be I have to update, but I used a workaround already (using a prefix like STRING_* in the Exceldatasource.).

Bye
    Thomas
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

hm I should have noticed that ;)
    I definitely suggest updating to RapidMiner5.1, your version is extremely outdated. Of course that also means there are alot of bugs which have been fixed in the meantime.

Regards,
    Marco