How to increase memory usage for RM

AnkiAnki Member Posts: 39 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi all,

Need Help
In my system i have 3GB RAM. But while the process executing in RapidMiner, in system monitor it is showing only 800MB as avilable.
In past I used 2GB, at the time also it shown 800 MB only.
I need more memory for my process. So How can I make maximum utilization of RAM for my RapidMiner procss.?

Please help me

Thank you

Yours
Anki 

Answers

• colocolo Member Posts: 236 Maven
    Hi Anki,

did you have a look at the installation manual: http://rapid-i.com/content/view/17/211/lang,en/ where this is covered?

Regards
    Matthias
  • AnkiAnki Member Posts: 39 Contributor II
    Hi Matthias,

Thank you. It is exactly what I need. But here the I am unable to increse memory more than 1400 MB.
    1400 MB is the maximum? My RAM size is 3 GB. Please tell me

Thank you'

Yours
    Anki
    Hi Anki,

your OS probably also needs a few bytes to run on your machine. You might take a look at the system ressource monitor after booting (before starting any applications) and check how much memory is shown as available. If the OS and all the running processes (including background tasks) comsume about 1.6 GB, 1400 MB sounds like a reasonable value available for RapidMiner.
    Which option did you choose for RapidMiner and what is your operating system?

Regards
    Matthias
    Hi Matthias,

I am using Windows XP 32 bit OS. Rapid Miner 5.1 GUI version.
    Is it because of 32 bit OS?

Thank you

Yours
    Anki
    Hi Anki,

the 32 bit version of Windows has its limit for memory usage at about 3.5 GB, so 64 bit is important for 4 GB and above. This should not be the reason. What about the memory usage before starting RapidMiner / after booting the system? Did you check that?

Regards
    Matthias
    Hi Matthias,

After booting up of system in system monitor it is showing Available RAM is nearly 2.4GB out of 3 GB. so for system cache is 530 MB nearly.
    What I am thinking is Do we need contiguous memory to allocate for  JAVA ?

Thank you

Yours
    Anki
    Hi Anki,

I don't think that this is the reason... How exactly did you assign an amount of memory to RapidMiner? From this point on you will probably need support from someone more familiar with this, maybe Ingo, Marco or someone else from Rapid-I will have better suggestions for you.

Regards
    Matthias
    Hi Matthias,

I have followed the way that described in this below link, heading as Starting RapidMiner: Any Platform - Way 1

http://rapid-i.com/content/view/17/211/lang,en/
    JAVA_HOME
    MAX_JAVA_MEMORY
    Here I have assigned using Environmental Variables .  There I have assigned 1600 MB, for this no errors.
    And I tried to assign more than this, and started RapidMiner with RapidMinerGUI.bat, but It is showing error as

Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Thank you

Yours
    Anki
  • JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Is it simply the 32bit windows issue?
    http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,646.msg2411.html#msg2411

-JEdward
    Hi JEdward,

Thank you for reply.

Yours
    Anki
  • MDMD Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi All, I know this is an old thread and that probably there are few just like this one. However I am not managing to increase the size allocated to RapidMiner. I mean I actually managed by starting RM via the terminal (I am a Mac uses) with the following command to allocate ~10Gb RAM to RapidMiner:

java -jar -Xmx10000m rapidminer.jar

That is fine, but I was hoping someone could explain another way to do this permanently so that I can start RM just by clicking on rapidminer.jar loading directly with the 10Gb of RAM so I don't have to go through terminal every time (might be my OCD but it just doesn't seem right). I have tried to change the memory size to 10000 in the /scripts/rapidminer.bat and /script/RapidMinerGUI.bat scripts in the section of Max memory allowed but it did not work.

I have been looking for an "environmental variables" tab but could not find any.

I apologise if this is trivial, I am kinda new to all this and am struggling with the simple stuff.

The alternative is to create an "environment variable" but I am not sure where to start there.
    Any help would be really appreciated!
    Kindest regards,
    Marco
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hello namesake  8),

you do need to start RapidMiner via the launch script which automatically sets the memory values (you can edit the script to change the values). See here and here.

Regards,
    Marco
  • MDMD Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Hi Marco, many thanks.
    I have tried that and basically I was trying to find a way to do start RM with the correct amount of RAM with a simple click without requiring to start Terminal (i.e. if I close Terminal by mistake RapidMiner shuts down too!).
    I had setup a RapidMiner.command file with the following script in and it that achieves the same:

#!/bin/bash
    cd /Applications/rapidminer/lib
    java -jar -Xmx10250m rapidminer.jar

Following your advice, I managed to change RapidMinerGUI to -rwxrwxrwx but still it would not start RM with ./RapidMinerGUI and gave this message:

RAPIDMINER_HOME is not set. Trying the directory '.'...
    grep: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory
    Number of cores: 8
    Number of GC Threads: 7
    No maximum Java memory defined, using 1024 Mb...
    Neither ./build nor ./lib/rapidminer.jar was found.
    Try 'ant build' or 'ant dist' first or check the value of RAPIDMINER_HOME!

I have not played further with it to add the home path (not sure where exactly in the script to add it) nor where to change the set of RAM to be used. Since I would have to start Terminal anyway I am quite happy to use it with the first solution as the result is the same. Hope this could help others too as an alternative solution!

Many thanks again for your prompt help.
    Kindest regards,
    Marco
  • Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi there,

you have to call the start script from RAPIDMINER_HOME. RAPIDMINER_HOME should point to the install folder of RapidMiner.

Example:

RAPIDMINER_HOME = /home/example_user/RapidMiner5

Start RapidMiner:

./RAPIDMINER_HOME/scripts/RapidMinerGUI
    Best,
    Nils
  • dsadadsada Member Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited September 2023
    can you help improve the  process time in my rapid miner in mac os 
  • CKönigCKönig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member Posts: 70 RM Team Member
    Hello dsada,
    please start a new thread for a new question. Resurrecting this 10 year old thread seems unnecessary.

Regarding your question: please give more detail on what your process is actually doing. Just showing the time the process is running is not enough for our magic crystal ball. ;-)