Options

Polynomial Regression: What does the Random Seed Do?

jcurry1jcurry1 Member Posts: 24 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Anyone have an idea what the random seed is used for in the Polynomial Regression operator?  It seriously affects the model if left on.  I've googled random seeds with polynomial regression but come up with a blank.

Answers

• Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi there,

It is always worth searching this forum, as most questions have been asked and answered many times. For example, if you search here for 'random seed' you'll see a good answer from Marius right under your own question.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jcurry1jcurry1 Member Posts: 24 Contributor II
    Haddock,

Thank you but I am aware of the forum etiquette.  The answers you mention are not relevant to my question as I didn't ask what is a random number generator or what is a random seed. 

I am asking specifically, why can a random seed used in this polynomial regression operator.  I don't know of any use for random numbers in a polynomial regression.  I am curious to know how it is used in this Operator and how it affects the result because the effect is very significant.

Regards,
    John
  • Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi JCurry,

I assumed that you had actually read the source for the operator, and seen that the random generator is passed to the optimisation.
    RegressionOptimization optimization = 
    new RegressionOptimization(exampleSet,
    getParameterAsInt(PARAMETER_REPLICATION_FACTOR),
    getParameterAsInt(PARAMETER_MAX_ITERATIONS),
    getParameterAsInt(PARAMETER_MAX_DEGREE),
    getParameterAsDouble(PARAMETER_MIN_COEFFICIENT),
    getParameterAsDouble(PARAMETER_MAX_COEFFICIENT),
    RandomGenerator.getRandomGenerator(this),
    this);