Options

"RapidMiner fails to initialize R-Perspective"

gusrgusr Member Posts: 5 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
Hi all,

I have been using RapidMiner for a while now and decided to give the new R-Extension a go.
I followed all instructions and cannot get to run properly.
I tried different version of R 2.11 and R2.12 (both with rJava)  all with RapidMiner 5.0.010, but never get to see the new R-Perspective.

I am running RM as a 32bit version and R 2.11 / R2.12also as a 32-bit version.
OS is Vista 32-bit.
All the environment variables were set according to the instructions and R is also running, when I am using it on its own.

I copied the logs from the RM start-up in (just in case they provide some more clues) and it points out that a class cannot be found (org/fife/ui/rtextarea/RTextArea) that is obviously used for initialising the R-Perspective.

Please find all the logs below. It would be great if someone could provide some help for that case.

Thanks very much in advance and all the best,
gusr

EDIT: 04/12/2010 - I took the startup log out as there were no comments on it.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hello again,

I tried a clean install of R  and RM again, but still the same problem. I was wondering if anyone else experienced it as well?

Here is just the exception that is thrown for the com.rapidminer.PluginInitR.initGui

Any help is really much appreciated.

All the best,
    gusr
    2010-12-02 14:17:19 WARNING: Plugin initializer com.rapidminer.PluginInitR.initG
    ui of Plugin R Extension causes an error: null (Plugin.callInitMethod())
     java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
         sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
         sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
    39)
         sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorIm
    pl.java:25)
         java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
         com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.callInitMethod(Plugin.java:720)
         com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.callPluginInitMethods(Plugin.java:698)
         com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin.initPluginGuis(Plugin.java:676)
         com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:241)
         com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.launch(RapidMinerGUI.java:554)
         com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI.main(RapidMinerGUI.java:536)
    39)
         com.rapid_i.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:334)
    Caused by:
     java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/fife/ui/rtextarea/RTextArea

com.rapidminer.gui.r.RConsole.<init>(RConsole.java:53)
         com.rapidminer.PluginInitR.initGui(PluginInitR.java:96)
    39)
    39)
    Caused by:
     java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.fife.ui.rtextarea.RTextArea

java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
         java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
         java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
    39)
    39)
    Caused by:
     java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid LOC header (bad signature)

java.util.zip.ZipFile.read(Native Method)
         java.util.zip.ZipFile.access$1200(ZipFile.java:29)
         java.util.zip.ZipFile$ZipFileInputStream.read(ZipFile.java:447)
         java.util.zip.ZipFile$1.fill(ZipFile.java:230)
         java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(InflaterInputStream.java:141)
         sun.misc.Resource.getBytes(Resource.java:97)
         java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:256)
         java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:56)
         java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
         java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
         java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:252)
         java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:320)
    39)
    39)
  • Options
    Hi all,

Just to provide an update on the problem I experienced, while trying to get the R-Extension running. I still have the same problem on the 32-bit system.

So, I gave it a try on another machine today. Installed a brand new Win7 64 bit on it. Installed all the required software R + Plugins, RM, etc. I do not get the same error, but after installing the R extension and specifying the path to the jri.dll, RM starts up, but then just closes immediately when it tries to initialize the GUI. Running it over the console option results in a never ending process that tries to start RM, then fails (Intializing GUI) and starts all over again - continuously.

I would really like to give the new extension a try and I post all the paths and variables here. I would really appreciate it if you could be so kind to let me know if you spot an error or I did something wrong.

Thanks,
    gusr

Config-Line from "5_0_11_rapidminerrc.Windows 7"
    rapidminer.r.native_lib=C\:\\Users\\SR\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\rJava\\jri\\x64\\jri.dll
    PATH
    Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\; 
    C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin;C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\bin\x64
    JAVA_HOME
    JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre
    R_HOME
    R_HOME=C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\bin\x64
    PS: I just tried the both R-Extension Version 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and got the same behavior.
  • Options
    Alright - solved.

The %R_HOME% was set to the subdirectory pointing at the architecture. I trimmed the path to
    R_HOME=C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0
    and everything seems to work fine. Must have been the problem on the other system as well.

Sorry for the confusion. Can't wait to get started now... :)

gusr
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Have fun :)

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    neelamneelam Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    gusr wrote:

Alright - solved.

The %R_HOME% was set to the subdirectory pointing at the architecture. I trimmed the path to
    R_HOME=C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0
    and everything seems to work fine. Must have been the problem on the other system as well.

Sorry for the confusion. Can't wait to get started now... :)

gusr

Hey hi,
    I have set the all required variable as suggested by you.
    But not getting RConsole Window. Is there any other settings required for this?
    I m using RM 5.0 and R2.11.1 (both 32bit).

Thanks n Regards,
    Nilam
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    then you probably have set your paths wrongly. Please double check for typos and if you are really using the exactly same version of R and if it is really installed where you think it is installed.

Greetings,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    neelamneelam Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Sebastian Land wrote:

Hi,
    then you probably have set your paths wrongly. Please double check for typos and if you are really using the exactly same version of R and if it is really installed where you think it is installed.

Greetings,
    Sebastian

Hi Sebastings,
    R Extension for R-2.11 (32 bit) worked properly. But nw according to systems requirements i hav installed R-2.12 (32/64 bit) n i m using R-2.12 32 bit. Its working fine.
    I hav installed rapid miner5.1 32 bit. For R Extension i hav stored following environment variables,

JAVA_HOME : C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_18\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\bin\;
    path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Rapid-I\RapidMiner5\jre\;
    R_HOME : C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\bin\i386\;

rapidminer.r.native_lib : C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\library\rJava\jri\jri.dll;

while opening rapidminer, its saying found library "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\library\rJava\jri\jri.dll" and after loading rapidminer it says can't load jri.dll since dependent libraries not found , n not getting R Console.

i even tried to set rapidminer.r.native_lib : C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\library\rJava\jri\i386\jri.dll;
    bt problem remains the same.

Thanks and Regards,
    Nilam
  • Options
    Hi,
    yes, because the R directory containing R.dll is not in the path. Please read the install instructions carefully.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    gladysCJgladysCJ Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Hello:

I am trying to install the R extensions but it is not working.

The following error is shown when RapidMiner is trying to load the dynamic library "jri.DLL":

"The local binary library ..... could not be loaded.
    Reason: Native library is already loaded in another class loader"

Any hints why this happened?

Thank you in advance,

Gladys
  • Options
    NeuralMarketNeuralMarket Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Ok, I've been having serious problems reinstalling the R plugin with Rapidminer but I believe it was due to my failing laptop.  I just got a new laptop and installed R 2.11.1 (note the version) and Rapidminer.  Followed the instructions on the splash screen and the above discussion and it loaded in fine.

Finally.
  • Options
    lilfletch11lilfletch11 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Yes, I agree finally!  My main problem was that I created the variables as 'system' variables instead of 'user' variables.  Also, I followed the mentioned details above.  All is good
  • Options
    crunchcrunch Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    You don't need User variables; system variables are perfectly adequate.  The places where the R extension installation instructions lead you down the garden path are:

1) R_HOME wants to be R's home directory, e.g. D:\Programs\R\R-2.15.2 (not the D:\Programs\R\R-2.15.2\bin\<arch> stated in the instructions)

2) The instructions hint that you might be getting the wrong jri.dll, but the error message is clear if you fall into this trap.  The thing that's not obvious is that R's default installation of rJava puts a 32-bit version of jri.dll at (on my machine) D:\Programs\R\R-2.15.2\library\rJava\jri\jri.dll  If you're trying to run a 64-bit installation, you need to delete that file (there's another copy of it in the i386 subdirectory) and copy the jri.dll from the x64 subdirectory into the enclosing jri directory.

Those are the ONLY places where the installation instructions are off the mark (for a 64-bit install) of the R-extension.