Text mining in utf-8

i_anickai_anicka Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hello all,

I need to use RapidMiner for text mining in Cyrilic.
I tried setting the encoding to utf-8. It gives me some results which are displayed in characters instead of cyrilic words.

Thanks,

Best Answer

• i_anickai_anicka Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Solution Accepted

Hi guys,

I have solved my problem.

I had set the utf-8 encoding everywhere except on the process level.

I changed this and it works!

Thank you all for your replies.

Ana,

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

could you maybe post an example?
    ~Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn

It could be that your original document isn't in UTF-8, but in another encoding. 

One way to be absolutely sure is to create a loop which changes the encoding parameter in your process documents using macros and to look at all the resulting outputs.  The one that looks 'right'. 

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

agreed.  Just did a quick check and there's no problem with Cyrillic in UTF-8.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.3.000">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="7.3.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="text:create_document" compatibility="7.3.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Create Document" width="90" x="45" y="34">
    <parameter key="text" value="Для поиска нажмите Ввод"/>
    </operator>
    <operator activated="true" class="text:documents_to_data" compatibility="7.3.000" expanded="true" height="82" name="Documents to Data" width="90" x="179" y="34">
    <parameter key="text_attribute" value="text"/>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Create Document" from_port="output" to_op="Documents to Data" to_port="documents 1"/>
    <connect from_op="Documents to Data" from_port="example set" to_port="result 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Scott

• arunasethupathyarunasethupathy Member Posts: 4 Contributor I

I want to use Tamil language for text mining

Where you have change the UTF-8 option for this

I have tried in process level but unable to get

Plz anybody give the answer

for changing the unicode option to UTF-8 ( for processing tamil language)

I have changed in the Rapidminer studio preference - encoding to UTF-8

I have simply read the document using ReadDocument operator in Text mining extension

But it is not working, the screen shot is attached ( doc7.docx)

Kindly help me to sort out this problem

Tahnk you

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Hello @arunasethupathy - so Tamil is not a language I have worked with before.  Could you please post your XML process AND your text document (in Tamil) so I can take a look?

Thank you.

Scott

Sir,

Kindly find the attached for the sample tamil text document

thank you @arunasethupathy.  Can you please also post your XML process?

Scott