Upgrading to RapidMiner Server 7.6 from 7.5

M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
edited December 2018 in Help
Tagged:

Best Answer

• M_MartinM_Martin RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 125 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Thanks, will do!

The attached screen shot could lead one to believe that downloading the .ear file should only be done when uploading from RM Server 7.4 only, as opposed to RM Server 7.4 or higher.

Best wishes,

Michael ;-)

Answers

Colleagues:

I just upgraded from RM Studio 7.5 to 7.6. Heads up: Suggest making a copy of the .RapidMiner folder (in Windows C:\Users\<your user name account>) before upgrading RM Studio. I would also suggest you uninstall RM Studio before running the 7.6 installation program as opposed to letting the 7.6 setup program delete your previous RM Studio version before installing the new version. In my case, when RM Studio started up, the version on the splash screen still said 7.5, and when the load finished, up came many warnings about incompatible extensions. All metadata re: database connections and database drivers was lost, as was my local RM Server repository.

I then completely uninstalled RM Studio 7.6 and ran the 7.6 setup program again and the above mentioned references to database connection, database drivers, and the RM Server repository were there again - and no warnings about incompatible extensions, and the startup splash screen said that my current version of RM Studio is now 7.6.

Next question: what is the best way to upgrade to RM Server 7.6 from 7.5 as you cannot connect to RM Server 7.5 from RM Studio 7.6. Should I update the .ear file? Re-install RM Server? 

Any guidance / advice much appreciated.

Best wishes, Michael Martin

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

Interesting, I did not have any of these problems with the 7.6 update.  Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Everything went smoothly for me with Studio (Windows machine, not sure if that is what you are using).

As far as the server goes, just swap the new EAR file in and it should be fine.  At least my AWS was (including the connection to Studio).

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Hi Brian:

Thanks for your reply.  Glad the RM Studio update went smoothly for you.

Can you point me in the right direction towards documentation tat talks one through updating the ,ear file?  I had seen something on the website that said .ear file upgrades were not recommended post RM Server 7.2.  Perhaps I misunderstood the article.

Best wishes, 

Michael

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn

If you go to your "my.rapidminer.com" download section and click on server v7.6, you should see 2 options, one of which is for downloading the EAR file, which you can do for this update as long as you are currently running at least Server v7.4.

When you select that option, it provides the following instructions:

Shutdown your application server.
    2 Open the deployment folder of your application server. 
    (SERVER/standalone/deployments)
    3 Replace the existing EAR file with the one you downloaded.
    4 Delete any other files in this folder besides the new EAR file.
    5 Start your application server.

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Thx @M_Martin and @Telcontar120.  I agree that some clarity is needed when upgrading Server on whether or not it needs to be a new full install or just an .ear upgrade.  I've done many .ear upgrades over the years and they're MUCH easier than a complete new install.  If you have any difficulty, please post so we can figure things out.

Scott