RapidMiner

Windows 10 - Scaling Issue

SOLVED
Contributor

Re: Windows 10 - Scaling Issue

Where do you activate "scaling by system"?

I can check "Override high DPI scaling behaviour..." box but cannot find scaling by system.

In my view I need to chose the system and Windows 10 is not available (only until 8)...

Community Manager

It's probably best to ping @shyan_lawrence if you're using a Surface Pro

Regards,
Thomas - Community Manager
LinkedIn: Thomas Ott
Contributor II

Thomas,

Thomas_Ott wrote:

It's probably best to ping @shyan_lawrence if you're using a Surface Pro

you mean that you as the vendor of RM don't give support on such crucial questions?

Personally, I switched to KNIME when I realized that my questions are not answered when I raised my scaling-problem and no solution was delivered. I'm using a Surface Book with 2 x 4K monitors.

Sad, but KNIME doesn't have this problem.

Community Manager

Hi Franke,

I don't want to get into a RapidMiner vs Knime pissing match here. Our development group has informed me that there are only workarounds available to this problem until Java 9 comes up with true HDP support. I'm not sure how KNIME is handling it but we have issued some possible workarounds in the meantime. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but we'll welcome you back to the RapidMiner family when it's fixed. 

Regards,
Contributor

I am not being able to solve the issue with this solution or neither the  one provided as a native windows 10 solution, still see only rapidminer with small fonts, all other applications are well scaled. 

Contributor

Hi,

It should be a dropdown box under Ignore DPI scaling. It's not available on the first editions of windows 10, the latest update gives you this option, which works by the way on a Lenovo T550.

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

We have a new update published for Windows 10 users but it is dependant on having the 'Creators' update for Windows.

See here: http://docs.rapidminer.com/studio/installation/hidpi.html

Regards,
Contributor II

Thomas_Ott wrote:

Hi Franke,

I don't want to get into a RapidMiner vs Knime pissing match here. Our development group has informed me that there are only workarounds available to this problem until Java 9 comes up with true HDP support. I'm not sure how KNIME is handling it but we have issued some possible workarounds in the meantime. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but we'll welcome you back to the RapidMiner family when it's fixed. 

Hi Thomas,

it was not my intention to drive into a "KNIME-RM-pissing-match". It is simply that I really don't understand how long it can take to fix such a crucial (at least for me) issue.

On the one hand I'm frustrated because 6-8 month ago I thought about starting activities to develop a solution - after I did a market survey and decided to work with your RM. On the other hand I'm not sure if I can trust in your support fixing other issues in the future.

If I decide on using RM, it means that there is an investment of a couple of month development costs, later on a couple of thousands of Euros for the customers RM deployment licenses ...

When I'm observing what's written here in the community about fixing this issue from RM-side I can't identify a deep commitment to find a rapid solution. All workarounds doesn't fit to our needs.

Can you give me a clue about what time frame we do speak solving this issue?

Sorry if my contribution sounds a bit harsh ... but waiting 6 and more month for a solution is annoying.

Holger

Community Manager

Hi Holger, sorry for calling you Franke,

I completely get your frustration, we're frustrated too because this is a reoccuring issue that affects us too. It's not as simple for us to fix this a patch in an incremental release because of how the RM GUI was built. Eclipse has a workaround in their libraries but we can't use that for creating our GUI because of licensing concerns. So we have to issue these workarounds until Java 9 allegedly fixes these issues. 

Regards,
kim
Contributor

Really would appreciate a fix on this.  It is impacting the decision to utilize.

Thanks,

Kim