RapidMiner

Yahoo Historical Stock Price Operator is not returing data

SOLVED
Contributor II

Re: Yahoo Historical Stock Price Operator is not returing data

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for providing the work around solution,

I am new for Rapidminer,

could you please help me out in using 'xml code' for Yahoo Historical Stock price operator, using it in Rapidminer?

Thanks

Pradeep.

Regular Contributor

Hello Thomas ... thanks for the solution. How do I implement the XML script? I copied it into the Execute Script operator and got an error (see attached). Thanks.

Attachments

Community Manager

Hi Sachs,

Piece of cake. Just make a text file with the header Ticker and then a new symbol on each line. Then use this process below. You should save them seperately in a repository by appending %{symbol}_stock

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.4.000">
  <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
  </context>
  <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
      <operator activated="true" class="open_file" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Open File" width="90" x="45" y="34">
        <parameter key="filename" value="C:\Users\ThomasOtt\Desktop\Ticker File.txt"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="read_csv" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Read CSV" width="90" x="179" y="34">
        <list key="annotations"/>
        <list key="data_set_meta_data_information"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="extract_macro" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Extract Macro (2)" width="90" x="313" y="34">
        <parameter key="macro" value="num"/>
        <list key="additional_macros"/>
      </operator>
      <operator activated="true" class="concurrency:loop" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="82" name="Loop" width="90" x="514" y="34">
        <parameter key="number_of_iterations" value="%{num}"/>
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="extract_macro" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Extract Macro" width="90" x="112" y="34">
            <parameter key="macro" value="symbol"/>
            <parameter key="macro_type" value="data_value"/>
            <parameter key="attribute_name" value="Ticker"/>
            <parameter key="example_index" value="%{iteration}"/>
            <list key="additional_macros"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="open_file" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Open File (2)" width="90" x="112" y="136">
            <parameter key="resource_type" value="URL"/>
            <parameter key="filename" value="http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ%3A%{symbol}&amp;ei=LRD-WJmhHIOrmgH_4KToAg&amp;output=csv"/>
            <parameter key="url" value="http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ%3A%{symbol}&amp;ei=LRD-WJmhHIOrmgH_4KToAg&amp;output=csv"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="read_csv" compatibility="7.4.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Read CSV (2)" width="90" x="447" y="85">
            <parameter key="csv_file" value="http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ%3A%{symbol}&amp;ei=LRD-WJmhHIOrmgH_4KToAg&amp;output=csv"/>
            <parameter key="column_separators" value=","/>
            <list key="annotations"/>
            <list key="data_set_meta_data_information"/>
          </operator>
          <connect from_port="input 1" to_op="Extract Macro" to_port="example set"/>
          <connect from_op="Open File (2)" from_port="file" to_op="Read CSV (2)" to_port="file"/>
          <connect from_op="Read CSV (2)" from_port="output" to_port="output 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 2" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_output 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_output 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
      <connect from_op="Open File" from_port="file" to_op="Read CSV" to_port="file"/>
      <connect from_op="Read CSV" from_port="output" to_op="Extract Macro (2)" to_port="example set"/>
      <connect from_op="Extract Macro (2)" from_port="example set" to_op="Loop" to_port="input 1"/>
      <connect from_op="Loop" from_port="output 1" to_port="result 1"/>
      <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
      <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
      <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
  </operator>
</process>
Regards,
Thomas - Community Manager
LinkedIn: Thomas Ott
Community Manager

Hi Pardeep. 

Just do a search for how to do it on the Community. Here's a great response from Ingo: http://community.rapidminer.com/t5/RapidMiner-Studio-Forum/Import-XML-code-to-process/m-p/32606

Regards,
Super Contributor

Dear all,

In the current version you have to click on menu view -> show panel -> XML. Then you can paste the XML code in the new XML windows and confirm with the green checkmark.

Cheers

Sachs

Contributor II

Thank you Sachs.

Contributor II

Thank you @Thomas_Ott.

Super Contributor

Hi Thomas,

This already looks very promising - and brings the advantage to control stock symbols in separate external file. Pretty cool!

Now I am struggling with two more problems:

1) The process provides a collection but I rather want to have each symbol in its own column in a single example set / table.

2) I tried to access the yahoo web api with the open file operator:

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AAPL&d=4&e=10&f=2016&g=d&a=11&b=12&c=2015&ignore=table.c...

But I couldn't manage to make the yahoo links work though they would do fine a web browser.

Lookling forward to getting some advice...

Cheers

Sachs

Highlighted
Community Manager

Yahoo did something to bork the whole thing recently, so I would default to Google right now. 

With respect to putting it all in a table, I'd have to think about it but it would include using a Rename by Replacing so you can do AAPL_Close and XOM_Close and then something to merge them all together, maybe with a combination of a Remember and Recall operator but I need go AFK know. 

Regards,
Contributor

In times when Yahoo! Finance API is broken you can use CityFALCON's API for free.