My Decision Tree Shows only one Node

MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist
edited November 2018 in Knowledge Base

Question

I've taught a decision tree, but i do not get a real tree, but only one node/leaf. Why?

Answer

Decision Trees are known to be vulnerable against overtraining/overfitting. To prevent your tree becoming overtrained they have the option to  (pre)prune themselves. Pruning is a way to cut away leaves which are not statistically meaningful, after the tree was built. Prepruning prevents that such leaves being built at all.

If you have only one node in your tree, it is very likely that the standard pruning options are preventing the tree growing. A drastic way to change this is to deactivate pruning and prepruning. Another way is to loosen the requierements for the cuts.

The two most important settings here are:

minimal_gain: specifies how good a cut needs to be that it is really executed. A 0 means all cuts are made while a 1 means only cuts which purify the two leafs are executed. The standard setting of 0.1 is a hard requierement. Common values for minimal gain are between 0.1 - 0.001.

confidence: This is a statistical measure based on binominal distribution which branches should be pruned away after building the tree. 0.25 is a reasonable number, but you might reduce it further to have a bigger tree.

As usual you should use proper validation (e.g X-Validation with a hold-out sample) to measure performance.

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
Dortmund, Germany

Comments

• rastislavtomastrastislavtomast Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

Hi , I have the same problem.  My target value / label has two values - Yes / No  and  95 % values are  NO.   The otput is one node -  Class NO .   But I want to find combination of variables, that will lead  to answer Yes - pls help. 

RasTo

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,503 RM Data Scientist

Dear Rasto,

welcome to the community! The problem you are facing is not one of the decision tree itself, but rather of your problem. You have a unbalanced problem. There are some ways to work with unbalanced problems. The most common techniques are:

Downsample the majority class. This can be archived with the Sample operator. You need to use the Balance Data option of it.

Weighting: You can add weights to your examples, so that a Yes counts 10x a No. The easiest way to balance your classes with weights is the Generate Weight (Stratification) operator. I would recommend to use this first. The Sum of Weights should be set to your sample size.

Best,

Martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany