Attribute Vs Feature

ShubhaShubha Member Posts: 139 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,

Does 'Attribute' and 'Feature' refered by RM are the same? I understand that an 'Attribute'  refers to the column name of an exampleset. What does 'Feature' mean?

Thanks,
Shubha

Answers

• haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Firstly let me offer my congratulations. I gather that you have been shortlisted for the Henry Blowfelt memorial prize for forum constipation with your magnificent nine entries on today's front page; of course there are murmurings that there are much less than nine separate topics really there, and that repeating pushes others down the heap, but I'm more liberal, nothing exceeds like excess.

I am however horrified at the agony that the attribute/feature question causes you, even the WEKA Magi Witten and Frank conspire to spread the confusion. In the index to their steamy novelette " Data Mining " I see the following entry for "Features"
    features. See attributes
    feature selection, 341. See also attribute selection.
    As for myself, I console myself with the whimsical notion that a feature is one or more attributes, but I think that the highest authorities should be informed of this threat to our mental security. Where are the Thought Police when you need them?

• ShubhaShubha Member Posts: 139 Maven
    Thanks a lot!... That was something which I wanted to ask from the beginning and someone who could concur with my thoughts too...

BR, Shubha
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Oh man, this thread made my day  ;D

(although this answer means another push to the top)

All the best,
    Ingo

P.S.: Haddock, you are right that there actually is a slight difference between feature and attribute in a more philosophical sense. As for structured data mining and the corresponding tools, I am, however, sure that there is no difference at all. This single sentence could count as justification why I have written at all.