Can't import CSV data on Mac

FrydekFrydek Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi
I'm new here. I'm just getting started with RapidMiner.
I'm trying to import a csv file and clicking import csv doesn't do anything.
Am I missing something? I've followed tutorials and in them a wizard appears, which doesn't happen in my case.
The only three options that work are import access, database and binary.

Answers

• FrydekFrydek Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Well, I'm on 10.6.8 thus Java 6... Unresolvable as far as I know...
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I'm afraid if you do not have access to Java 7, you will either need to use RM 5.3.008, or update your OS to Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) for the imports to work correctly.

Regards,
    Marco
  • ldamianildamiani Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    Im having the same problem on a mountain lion with Java 7 (v25)
  • ReshmaReshma Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    I'm on Mountain Lion and using RM 5.3.013. I have Java 7.

I opened RM from inside the scripts folder by double clicking RapidMinerGUI.

When the tool started the first time, I was not prompted for creating a new repository. I started a New Process and then created a new repository. If I try to import a .csv, I get nothing and there's not error messages either.

Can someone help?!
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

what does it say when you enter the following in your terminal?

java -version
    Regards,
    Marco
    Hi March

java version "1.6.0_43"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)

That's what  I see.

Reshma
    Hi,

so your Mac is not using Java 7 as the default JVM. Can you try the following:
    Go to your Java Preferences in the utilities, and change the order (drag) so Java 7 is at the top.
    Then run the terminal test again.

Regards,
    Marco
    Thanks Marco

The funny thing is that in my java preferences under Java Runtime Environment Settings, I only see 1.7. The Java Control Panel is available in my System Preference and that means my system is using Java 7 (I think) but when I run the command Java -version in my terminal, it still returns:
    java version "1.6.0_43"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)

I am at a complete loss on forcing my system to use Java 7.
  • mdchambers0mdchambers0 Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    It turns out when I installed Java 7 it didn't get rid of Java 6.  I had to get rid of Java 6 then reinstall java 7 then the program worked fine.

Hi

I am running RM 5.3.013 and OSX 10.8.5 and this feature still does not work????  I can not import CSV files.

Any ideas????

Hi,

what does echo $JAVA_HOME say when you enter it in the terminal?

Regards,
    Marco
    Nothing is returned. It's blank.

I suspect we need to set this in some type of profile?
  • KozmaKozma Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hi,

The same thing happened to me. Two things got it working:

Open the Java Preferences Utility (Applications > Utilities) and move Java 7 to the top. [This is different from the System Preferences, which, as you've seen, doesn't do any good.]

I did this before I figured out the Preferences, so don't know how much difference it made. I installed the Java Developer's Kit (JDK), I think from the advice of another post on here.

Good luck!
  • paulalfordpaulalford Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Well, following these steps has broken my RM installation.

I proceeded with the following steps.

Removed Java 6
    Installed Java 7 SDK
    Set JAVE_HOME to new Java 7 location
    Set Path to include new Java location

On RM start it bombs out with the following error:

#
    # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fff8d7f4221, pid=18806, tid=52231
    #
    # JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_45-b18) (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode bsd-amd64 compressed oops)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C  [libGLImage.dylib+0x24221]  storeColor+0x5d1
    #
    # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
    #
    # An error report file with more information is saved as:
    # /Users/paulalford/Desktop/rapidminer/hs_err_pid18806.log
    #
    # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
    http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
    # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
    # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
    #
    ./scripts/RapidMinerGUI: line 195: 18806 Abort trap: 6          $JAVA $ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS -Xmx${MAX_JAVA_MEMORY}m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -cp ${CLASSPATH} -Drapidminer.home=${RAPIDMINER_HOME} -Drapidminer.operators.additional=${RAPIDMINER_OPERATORS_ADDITIONAL} ${RAPIDMINER_JDBC_DRIVER_PARAMETER} com.rapid_i.Launcher "$@"
    Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
  • jforkjfork Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Reshma wrote:

Nothing is returned. It's blank.

I suspect we need to set this in some type of profile?
    This same problem is happening to me.  I am running Java 7 SDK.  I got RM to run on my Macbook air running Mountain Lion, but cannot get it to import CSV or excel.  When I try to use the Import data command, nothing happens....

On my iMac running Mavericks, I cannot even get RM to open, it shows the loading screen, then the GUI crashes with a message similar to what Paul Alford reports.  I don't know enough about the code to be able to understand what it's doing wrong or how to fix it.

Hi,

just to be clear: You are trying to press the arrow next to the button, and nothing happens? (Yes, I know this is not optimal and it will be changed in the future.)

Regards,
    Marco
  • earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
    I had exactly the same problem. I'm running Mavericks and Rapidminer Version 5.3.13.

I had Java 7 installed but Mac was not using it (when i ran "java -version" I got the version 1.6).

I followed the steps described in the page:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/58116/enabling-java-7-on-mountain-lion

and everything works as expected after that.

• tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Having the same issues on Mavericks with RM 5.3.015. If Java 7 is installed, RM crashes out at GUI start with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (see below).

If I remove Java 7 and use Apple Java 6, then RM starts but neither CSV, Excel, nor XML import work.

Following the steps linked by earmijo didn't fix the issues for me.

Process:        java [25570]
    Path:            /Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
    Identifier:      net.java.openjdk.cmd
    Version:        1.0 (1.0)
    Code Type:      X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process:  Jar Launcher [25568]
    Responsible:    Jar Launcher [25568]
    User ID:        504

Date/Time:      2013-11-06 20:47:55.362 -0600
    OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    Report Version:  11
    Anonymous UUID:  F61A03F4-5353-DF22-5E4D-AE96814852A5

Sleep/Wake UUID: FF8CA141-1196-4FCF-8599-A5ED31115931

Crashed Thread:  29  Java: Java2D Queue Flusher  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000012376e000
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Bump. Anyone find a way around this?