"Difficulties to use Image Processing Extension"

Chriis_Bg25Chriis_Bg25 Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hi RM Community  :),

I'm a perfect beginner with RM 5.3 and I have some difficulties to use the image processing extension. More precisely, I have  several  repositories of .png images which I'd like to open & load in RM in order to perform a classification algo. Ideally I would like to use the Multiple Grayscale Image Opener to do that but I have always the following error message : "No data is delivered at port MIO.ExampleSet (disconnected)".  ???

Please would you have some ideas, advices or tutorial or videos ?

Thank you in advance,

Chris
Tagged:

Answers

• StaryVenaStaryVena Member Posts: 126 Contributor II
    Hello Chris,
    some tutorial are here:
    http://splab.cz/en/research/data-mining/articles
    There are also some processen on this forum.
    If you don't find what you are looking for, post here some more information and I will help you.

Best,
    Vaclav
  • Chriis_Bg25Chriis_Bg25 Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    Hello Vaclav,

Thank you for your reply.

Before my post, I have already watched some videos and read some articles on the website of IMMI/Splab extension. I have also looked for on this forum.
    I just found a research paper which used the MOI Operator ("Semi-Automatic Image Data Analysis") but the authors don't provide lot of much information on their MOI implementation.
    For the moment, I didn't find a solution to my problem.

I'm able to open and to load one image but I stay unable to open and to load all images in my repository or to apply a loop image operator.

If I understand correctly the description of MOI operator, I have to find a subprocess or an inner operator generating an ExampleSet as output.

If someone has an idea or advice, thank you !

Chris

• wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    Maybe this thread is a nice example of image classification.
    It shows how to load a data set of images and classify them.

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,6105.msg21457.html#msg21457

If you have specific questions about a single operator, I suggest making a new thread.

Best regards,

Wessel
    Hi Wessel,

Thank you for your help !  your thread will be very useful for me !
    I had already read your old post but too quick ... Shame on me !  >:(
    With your example it will be easier to understand how to use Rapidminer for my project.
    Have a nice we
    Once again thanks .

Chris

• FloigenkasparFloigenkaspar Member Posts: 5 Contributor II
    Chriis_Bg25 wrote:

Hi Wessel,

Thank you for your help !  your thread will be very useful for me !
    I had already read your old post but too quick ... Shame on me !  >:(
    With your example it will be easier to understand how to use Rapidminer for my project.
    Have a nice we
    Once again thanks .

Chris

Have you been able to solve the problem?
    I have a similar problem. The multiple Grayscale Image Opener and the Multiple Color Image Opener both refuse to recognize the images in the given folder. I always get the messages "Image folder is empty" or "Image folder does not contain any file with the given extension".
    Overall I have to say, that the Image Processing extension is very poorly documented and the official site is to basically no use. If anyone knows a good documentation/tutorial or something similar for the Image Processing extension, especially for functions, which use a batch of pictures, I would be very grateful. I haven't found a single example in the Internet, where someone uses the functions "Grayscale Image Opener" or the "Multiple Color Image Opener" successfully. A tutorial would probably much more useful than a simple answer to my problem.

Thanks for many help in advance
    Kaspar
    Hi Kaspar,

MCIO & MIO have worked for me. Are you checked the format of your pictures in your folder ? In my case, my pictures are in ".png".

On the thread given by Wessel, you could find an example of process which shows how to load a data set of images with MCIO.
    I used this example for my project.

I agree with you on the fact a more detailed documentation about the IMMI extension will be very useful but I think that it will be soon the case.
    Good luck

Chris
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Hello guys,

I am a newbie to RapidMIner!!
    I have the same problem with Multiple Color Image Opener. I get the message "Image folder does not contain any file with the given extension".
    Of course my folder does contain files with the given extensions.
    I have noticed that when I select the folder on the images property of MCIO then I see no images on the  windows explorer opening inside RapidMiner. Also the file extension allowed are "all files":no images/files appear when I select this and directory(.null): again no images/file appear.
    Is this maybe a configuration option in RapidMiner?

Hello elag1985,
    can you post your process (http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,4782.0.html)?

Best,
    Vaclav
  • wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    StaryVena wrote:

Hello elag1985,
    can you post your process (http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,4782.0.html)?

Best,
    Vaclav
    I recommend you go into view --> create new view, and have a view with only XML inside, this will come in handy often.
    elag1985 wrote:

Hello guys,

I am a newbie to RapidMIner!!
    I have the same problem with Multiple Color Image Opener. I get the message "Image folder does not contain any file with the given extension".
    Of course my folder does contain files with the given extensions.
    I have noticed that when I select the folder on the images property of MCIO then I see no images on the  windows explorer opening inside RapidMiner. Also the file extension allowed are "all files":no images/files appear when I select this and directory(.null): again no images/file appear.
    Is this maybe a configuration option in RapidMiner?

I had nearly the same problem, only that jpegs wouldn't load and png's would. In the end it worked with setting the parameter to "all files", even though i still didn't see any pictures in the browser window, they loaded when I started the process. But make sure you don't have any other files than pictures in your folder, otherwise the process will crash.

Hope that was of some help
    Kaspar
    Since there is a higher chance for help in this thread, i'll repost my question from another thread.

Hello Everybody

I'm using the Image Mining plugin provided by splab. I'm trying to extract information from an image that correlates with data which where measured during this time. My idea to achive this is as folows: first a Histogram streching, then a Gaussian blur, and then a statistical region merging. Now comes the point where I have a problem: I want to make a local Threshold over every Segment of the Image, meaning the algorithm of the threshold should just consider the pixels in a certain segment, apply the threshold and then go to the next segment. At the end I want a picture where every segement of the picture was thresholded with a different threshold method.

Here is a minimum example of how about my process looks like right now:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="5.3.008">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="5.3.008" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:open_image" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Open Gray-scale Image" width="90" x="45" y="120">
            <parameter key="filename" value="D:\Users\SWW-Bc13\Desktop\Versuche Rapidminer\Allgemeine Auswahl an Daten\Testbilder Messkampagne 2\Tag\IMG_7970.JPG"/>
            <parameter key="set_mask" value="false"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:margin_cut_off" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Margin cut off" width="90" x="179" y="120">
            <parameter key="Left" value="550"/>
            <parameter key="Right" value="0"/>
            <parameter key="Top" value="0"/>
            <parameter key="Bottom" value="900"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:resize_image" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Resize Image" width="90" x="313" y="120">
            <parameter key="width_percent" value="0.3"/>
            <parameter key="height_percent" value="0.3"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" breakpoints="after" class="imageprocessing:histogram_equalize" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="HEQ" width="90" x="447" y="120">
            <parameter key="algorithm" value="stretch"/>
            <parameter key="saturation" value="10.0"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" breakpoints="after" class="imageprocessing:gaussian_blur" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Gaussian Blur" width="90" x="581" y="120"/>
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:grayscale_to_color" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Grayscale to color" width="90" x="715" y="120"/>
          <operator activated="true" breakpoints="after" class="imageprocessing:statistical_region_merging" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="statistical_region_merging" width="90" x="45" y="210"/>
          <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:segment_mask_processor" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Segment Mask Processor" width="90" x="45" y="300">
            <process expanded="true">
              <operator activated="true" class="imageprocessing:thresholding" compatibility="1.4.001" expanded="true" height="60" name="Thresholding" width="90" x="313" y="30">
                <parameter key="Method" value="Moments"/>
              </operator>
              <connect from_port="grayscale image in" to_op="Thresholding" to_port="grayscale image plus"/>
              <connect from_op="Thresholding" from_port="grayscale image plus" to_port="grayscale image out"/>
              <portSpacing port="source_grayscale image in" spacing="0"/>
              <portSpacing port="sink_grayscale image out" spacing="0"/>
            </process>
          </operator>
          <connect from_op="Open Gray-scale Image" from_port="grayscale image plus" to_op="Margin cut off" to_port="image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="Margin cut off" from_port="image plus" to_op="Resize Image" to_port="image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="Resize Image" from_port="image plus" to_op="HEQ" to_port="image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="HEQ" from_port="image plus" to_op="Gaussian Blur" to_port="image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="Gaussian Blur" from_port="image plus" to_op="Grayscale to color" to_port="grayscale image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="Grayscale to color" from_port="color image" to_op="statistical_region_merging" to_port="color image plus"/>
          <connect from_op="statistical_region_merging" from_port="segmented image" to_op="Segment Mask Processor" to_port="segmented image in"/>
          <connect from_op="Segment Mask Processor" from_port="segmented image out" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>

Right now the segment mask processor only iterates over the segments itself and not over the image the segments are on, but I want to edit the image.
    I know my description of what I want is a bit vague. I still hope someone can help me and if you need further explanations don't hestitate to ask.

Thanks in advance
    Kaspar
    Hello Kaspar,
    unfortunately there is no operator that can calculate threshold based on segment. But you can extract pixel values to example set, then calculate threshold, and then using thresholding operator and Image Combinator operator apply the threshold separately to each segment by Segment Mask Processor.

Best,
    Vaclav
    StaryVena wrote:

Hello Kaspar,
    unfortunately there is no operator that can calculate threshold based on segment. But you can extract pixel values to example set, then calculate threshold, and then using thresholding operator and Image Combinator operator apply the threshold separately to each segment by Segment Mask Processor.

Best,
    Vaclav
    Oh, I haven't thought of this option.
    Thank you I'll try this as soon as possible.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Hello guys,

the reason for getting this specific message "Image folder does not contain any file with the given extension" is in my opinion a bug in the windows explores opening. If you choose first the desired folder and then the file extension (e.g. All files), then the folder selection is removed and it looks as if the user has chosen no folder and therefore the list remains empty. The simple trick is to choose the desired folder last.

I am using Windows 8. Let me me know if I should make a bug report about this.