Import Configuration Wizard Question

Ike3000Ike3000 Member Posts: 5 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

I use the Read Excel Operator with the Import Config Wizard. Is there a chance to save the import Settings, so that once I leave the Import Config Wizard and click on it again, the previous settings will reappear when I navigate through the 4 Steps of the Import Confi Wizard?

I really like the idea of the Import Config Wizard, but sometimes I need to readjust one of the Import Settings. Once I leave the Import Congig Wizard, I have to start all over again, instead of just making a slight adjustment. Also, when I use the Import Config Wizard to set specific roles (Instead of using "Set Role" Operator) or to preselect attributes (instead of using "Select Attributes" Operator), these settings will be gone, once I click on the Wizard again.

It's also bad in terms of reproducibility . When I share a chain of processes that uses the Import Config Wizard for preselecting attributes or setting roles, another person won't be able to see which preselection and roles I have set within the Wizard.

Best Answer

• Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Actually, all the information that you select in the wizard is captured in the parameters, which are saved in the operator, and they are accessible to anyone else that views the process later.  You can find them here (look at the attached screenshot) and you can adjust anything you need directly from this screen once you click on the "edit list" button such as the attribute name, data type, role without having to rerun the entire wizard.

read Excel Capture.PNG

Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

Brian is absolutely correct - easy to see the settings with the Edit button.  You can also see everything in the XML coding for easy replication:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><process version="7.3.000">
    <context>
    <input/>
    <output/>
    <macros/>
    </context>
    <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="7.3.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
    <process expanded="true">
    <operator activated="true" class="read_excel" compatibility="7.3.000" expanded="true" height="68" name="Read Excel" width="90" x="514" y="34">
    <parameter key="excel_file" value="/Users/GenzerConsulting/college.xlsx"/>
    <parameter key="imported_cell_range" value="A1:C148"/>
    <parameter key="first_row_as_names" value="false"/>
    <list key="annotations">
    <parameter key="0" value="Name"/>
    </list>
    <list key="data_set_meta_data_information">
    <parameter key="0" value="GraduationYear.true.nominal.attribute"/>
    <parameter key="1" value="UniqueID.true.integer.attribute"/>
    <parameter key="2" value="GPA.true.numeric.attribute"/>
    </list>
    </operator>
    <connect from_op="Read Excel" from_port="output" to_port="result 1"/>
    <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
    <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
    </process>
    </operator>
    </process>

Lastly, you can always make a "building block" of the Read Excel operator and share, duplicate, etc...  I use building blocks all the time.

Scott

• Ike3000Ike3000 Member Posts: 5 Contributor I

Thanks, that helps a lot!