"Linear regression, removing the constant term from the model"

d1m0sd1m0s Member Posts: 17 Maven
edited May 2019 in Help
Hi guys,
I'm trying to run a linear regression model with dummy variables and I need to get rid of the constant term in my model but I do not see how to do this. It seems it can not be done through the Rapidminer's GUI (I am using learner\supervised\functions\linearregression operator).
Please help me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Tagged:

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hello,

I am afraid this is currently not possible. I must admit that I never had a problem where this would have made any sense though  ;)

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • keithkeith Member Posts: 157 Maven
    Just offering my opinion...

If I understand the question correctly, he's essentially looking for the equivalent to the "Constant is Zero" option in Excel's Regression functionality in the Data Analysis add-in.

I haven't had to do it with RapidMiner yet, but I certainly have had circumstances where I wanted to model something with no constant. i.e. Structurally, I knew that if all the input variables were zero, the dependent variable would also have to be zero, and I wanted the regression to reflect that behavior, while otherwise using regression to find the best constants for the input variables.  So I could definitely see myself using such an option again in the future.

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi again,

ok, if there are already two people out there who would like this, we have reached a critical mass  ;)

Just kidding: Thanks for pointing this out again. II just have realized an example where this indeed could be very useful. So we have added a new parameter to the linear regression learner called "use_bias" which can be turned off. You can obtain the new version via CVS (described here: http://rapid-i.com/content/view/25/48/ ; please use the branch "Zaniah" for the latest developer version). Of course, this new feature will also be part of the next Enterprise Edition update.

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • d1m0sd1m0s Member Posts: 17 Maven
    Wow...thanks a lot guys :o