Listing attributes in select attributes

seshadotcomseshadotcom Member Posts: 33 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello Folks,

I am trying to select a subset of a bunch of attributes and somehow I do not know the rapidminer GUI stopped giving me the attributes in the display screen which will help me to choose attributes easily. I am instead doing it a very un conventional way of modifying the XML of the process with a piping symbol to list the attributes I need :P. Does anyone know the reason?

Answers

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Under some conditions RapidMiner is not able to present you a list of attributes. In this case there is no need to modify the XML, but you can simply open the dialog as usual, type the name of the attribute into the right text field and press the green button next to it. Now the corresponding attribute will be selected.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • seshadotcomseshadotcom Member Posts: 33 Contributor II
    Hello Marco,

I agree that it could be done this way and I also did it. But for example for FP Growth I have an requirement to select a bunch of attributes like 24 or 25 attributes and it is sometimes annoying that I make a small underscore mistake then the block fails, so I better do it in the XML to avoid mistakes. But the problem now is if I have 80 attributes(coming in my next week experiment) how will I select around 45 attributes without having to type manually?

Regards
    Sesha
    Hi marco what are the condition in which the rapidminer could not show me the attributes? something wrong with my settings?
    seshadotcom wrote:

Hi marco
    You should have a closer look at whom you are writing :)

In the case of FP-Growth RapidMiner cannot determine the resulting attributes without actually scanning the complete data set, since the resulting attributes are dependent on the data itself, not just on the metadata like original attribute names and types. Since scanning the complete data is too slow to be performed before actually executing the process, you don't get the list.

But maybe you can use Select Attributes with a regular expression filter that matches the desired attributes instead of typing all attribute names manually.

Best regards,
    Marius
    OOPS sorry Marius,  :)

I can do with regexp that is definitely possible but I am kind of curious how the same process setup works in my home PC. When I run this at the university PC it does not show me the attributes list.
    As a matter of fact I did analyze the XML of both the process to really see if I am doing something wrong with a Diff tool but there is no difference.. it is just a normal and same process but how come it works at my laptop and not at a different PC at the university is a mystery
    Is the same RapidMiner version installed on both machines? Which operating systems are you using?

Best regards,
    Marius