ParameterIteration operator

haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi Folks!

Under 4.2 beta, which I got at the much to be recommended Finance course, I was able to able to edit the parameters list of the ParameterIteration operator easily, but I'm having trouble with the new configuration wizard, and ponder why I can't get it to work.

By way of example if I use the following setup...

<operator name="Root" class="Process" expanded="yes">
    <operator name="ExampleSetGenerator" class="ExampleSetGenerator">
        <parameter key="target_function" value="random"/>
    </operator>
    <operator name="ParameterIteration" class="ParameterIteration" expanded="yes">
        <list key="parameters">
        </list>
        <operator name="ChangeAttributeRole" class="ChangeAttributeRole" breakpoints="after">
            <parameter key="name" value="att1"/>
            <parameter key="target_role" value="label"/>
        </operator>
    </operator>
</operator>

I find that the wizard does not allow me to select the parameter "name", and so cannot create a list of values for the iterator to use. If on the other hand I edit the XML directly to the following...

<operator name="Root" class="Process" expanded="yes">
    <operator name="ExampleSetGenerator" class="ExampleSetGenerator">
        <parameter key="target_function" value="random"/>
    </operator>
    <operator name="ParameterIteration" class="ParameterIteration" expanded="yes">
        <list key="parameters">
          <parameter key="ChangeAttributeRole.name" value="att1,att2,att3"/>
        </list>
        <operator name="ChangeAttributeRole" class="ChangeAttributeRole" breakpoints="after">
            <parameter key="name" value="att3"/>
            <parameter key="target_role" value="label"/>
        </operator>
    </operator>
</operator>
The process runs as expected, but I still cannot use the wizard to add to the list. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Answers

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

there was an issue with the new wizard (shame on us, we tested it in all different possible ways - or at least we thought we did - but forgot to properly test string parameters...) which is already fixed now in the latest CVS version. Now the wizard also works for string parameters and also better supports integer parameters. You could obtain the updated version via CVS yourself if possible or of course wait for the next release. Of course this bugfix is also part of the automatical updates for the Enterprise Edition users (if somebody of the users read the text here....).

I find that the wizard does not allow me to select the parameter "name", and so cannot create a list of values for the iterator to use. If on the other hand I edit the XML directly to the following...
    Modifying the XML is actually the suggested workaround until you obtain the bugfix via CVS or the next release.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause. Actually, the new wizard was meant to be more convenient and now... but be assured that it is great to use in the fixed version  ;)

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Bonsoir Ingo,

Many thanks for that, I was beginning to doubt my sanity even more than usual. I'd subscribe to the commercial edition, but as I'm a "solo artiste" I find the five seat splendour a bit rich at the moment. I'm getting very interesting results on the currency market - so maybe I'll change my mind!!

Thanks again, excellent work all round.

Pip Pip
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

I suggest not to doubt your sanity at all - especially not during using RapidMine or making predictions about the future in general as well  ;)

We are aware of the fact that starting with a 5 seat minimum isn't the best solution for individual users. But on the other hand it is the best trade-off between structural overhead and actual work which helps to keep prices smaller for most customers. And from our experience we can say that  it's more often a unit or department of a company deciding for RapidMiner and asking for guarantees and services than individuals. If this changes and more individuals ask, let's say, for instant bugfixes and some of the additional features, we could certainly think of an alternative model for individual users, too.

But I am hoping that your results on the currency market turn out to be good enough so that we will not need to even begin the search for an alternative model  ;)

All the best,
    Ingo