RapidMiner 5 Community & 6 Trial freezing on Mavericks 10.9.1

tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Both RM 5.3.15 Community & 6.0.0.1 Trial freeze during basic GUI use. There doesn't seem to be a particular cause to it. Even moving a folder in the repository causes freezing. During routine use, the GUI becomes VERY slow to refresh or respond to clicks then the beach ball starts twirling.

When I run RM 5, I have disabled Java 1.7. When I run RM 6, I have enabled Java 1.7.

Mavericks 10.9.1, MacBookPro, 16GB RAM.

This same issue occurred before I updated to 10.9.1 from 10.9.0. Restarts do not help.

This is a show stopper for me and is preventing me from evaluating RM 6 for purchase... Please help.

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I don't remember seeing such symptoms before, so can you please answer the following questions for us so we can try to locate the cause:

1) Does the issue happen after you've started working with your data, or does it also appear when starting RapidMiner (not loading your process) and only clicking around in the GUI?
    2) If the answer to question 1) is that it only starts after opening your process: Do you use a database connection inside the process, and if so, to what database?
    3) How do you launch RapidMiner Studio 6?
    4) What values does the performance monitor show during these slowdowns? You can enable it by selecting "View" -> "Show View" -> "System Monitor" in the menu bar.
    5) What does the log file (USER_HOME/.RapidMiner/rm.log) say?
    6) Which exact Java version are you using? (type java -version into your terminal)

On a side note, the last RM 5 versions also need Java 7 to work correctly.

Regards,
    Marco
  • bavbbavb Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Having same problem. I am on Mac 10.7.5. trying to evaluate. Ver 5.3 hangs at first gui screen. 6 hangs sometimes at Thank you for using Rapidminer Studio dialog box, other times while running tutorial. doesnt see to matter, very random. i am unable to use.

1. Appears before working with any data.

3. Launch several ways makes no dif. via .lib/jar, via .app and via .sh. all the same hanging.

4. Unable to access any menu options or commands as osx shows application not responding

5.  rapidminer-studio.log
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:25 PM com.rapidminer.RapidMiner performFirstInitialization
    INFO: Performing upgrade  to version 6.0.002
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:25 PM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
    INFO: Set locale to en.
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:26 PM com.rapidminer.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Initializing license manager.
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:26 PM com.rapidminer.license.ProductConstraintManager initialize
    INFO: Using default license location.
    INFO: Registering default product.
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:26 PM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin registerPlugins
    INFO: Register plugin: Data Editor
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:29 PM com.rapidminer.tools.expression.parser.ExpressionParserFactory <clinit>
    INFO: Default version of expression parser registered successfully
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:33 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODBC Bridge (e.g. Access)
    Jan 05, 2014 1:58:33 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties registerDrivers
    INFO: JDBC driver ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
    Jan 05, 2014 2:05:22 PM com.rapidminer.gui.ApplicationPerspectives loadAll
    CONFIG: Loading perspectives.

6. Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Hi Marco,

Thanks for the reply.

1) It only happens when clicking around the GUI. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular activity like loading or running. If anything, I notice it happening most when clicking out of a operator's settings dialog.
    2) I do use a database connection to a PostgreSQL 9.3 database.
    3) I launch it by opening the RapidMiner.jar.
    4) Don't know. Because the license reverted to Starter, I have to open RM using the .app (otherwise I get a memory setting error), but now my database connections don't work, so I'm no longer comparing apples to apples. I will, however, click around the process to see if it hangs.
    5) There is no rm.log in that folder. rapidminer-studio.log doesn't say much of anything but initialization echoes. I'll look at it again when RM next hangs.
    6) java version "1.7.0_45"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

I had to install JDK 1.7 in order to get RM6 to launch via .app, though it would launch via .jar if only JRE 1.7 were installed.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

Thanks,
    Ted
    Marco Boeck wrote:

Hi,

I don't remember seeing such symptoms before, so can you please answer the following questions for us so we can try to locate the cause:

1) Does the issue happen after you've started working with your data, or does it also appear when starting RapidMiner (not loading your process) and only clicking around in the GUI?
    2) If the answer to question 1) is that it only starts after opening your process: Do you use a database connection inside the process, and if so, to what database?
    3) How do you launch RapidMiner Studio 6?
    4) What values does the performance monitor show during these slowdowns? You can enable it by selecting "View" -> "Show View" -> "System Monitor" in the menu bar.
    5) What does the log file (USER_HOME/.RapidMiner/rm.log) say?
    6) Which exact Java version are you using? (type java -version into your terminal)

On a side note, the last RM 5 versions also need Java 7 to work correctly.

Regards,
    Marco
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Linking another thread on this topic.

http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7514.0.html
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

as I could not immediately reproduce the issue on our testsystems. I have forwarded this for investigation.

Regards,
    Marco