RapidMiner Studio 6 Q&A

Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello! Because we have just released RapidMiner Studio 6 and there have been some quite significant changes, this topic here is intended to help making the transition as smooth as possible and answering any questions you might have! This thread will be updated on a regular basis with future questions/issues as they arise. Let's get started!

RapidMiner Studio 6
Q: What's new?
A: Many things have been improved both over and under the hood of RapidMiner!
  • first batch of new Application Wizards which aim to solve common data mining problems without extensive computer science knowledge
  • licensing framework allowing all editions of RapidMiner Studio to contain all features as opposed to different community and enterprise versions in the past
  • major changes to the result perspective including the statistics and plotters which make exploring results much more intuitive
  • improved usability for new and seasoned users of RapidMiner Studio including new tutorials
  • Data Editor which allows editing and creation of example sets similar to a spreadsheet application
  • improved export and print options
  • greatly improved Mac user experience
  • completely reworked 'Filter Examples' operator
  • many, many performance improvements and bugfixes all around
Q: What does the future hold?
A: Not everything made it into the initial release. Just as in the past, we will update RapidMiner Studio on a regular basis to add new features and fix problems and bugs. Furthermore, more free extensions adding more features to the RapidMiner Studio core will be released over the course of the next months.

Q: Updating from RapidMiner 5 to RapidMiner Studio 6
A: It is not possible to update directly from RapidMiner 5 to RapidMiner Studio 6, so you need to download it from the website here and install it separately. IMPORTANT:
All your processes created with RapidMiner 5 can still be used in RapidMiner Studio 6. However, RapidMiner Studio 6 reads configuration settings from a different location than RapidMiner 5 does. Therefore, when starting RapidMiner Studio 6, you will not see your old repositories, preferences, and other configuration options. To restore your RapidMiner 5 repositories, follow these steps
1. Locate the folders .RapidMiner5 and .RapidMiner in your user folder. The first is used by RapidMiner 5 whereas RapidMiner Studio 6 uses the second.
2. Move or copy the repository folders in .RapidMiner5/repositories/ to a place where you want to store data, e.g. .RapidMiner/repositories/.
3. Start RapidMiner 6 Studio.
4. In the toolbar of the "Repositories" view, click "Add Repository" (first icon, showing a server with a "+").
5. In the dialog, select "New local repository" and press "Next".
6. Assign a name in the "Alias" text field.
7. Uncheck "Use standard location" (the standard location is inside the folder .RapidMiner6/repositories)
8. Select the location where you copied your repository.
9. Click Finish.
Repeat steps 4-9 for each repository you want to re-add.
(Note: It is safe to copy or rename the entire folder .RapidMiner5 to .RapidMiner to keep your old settings. Still, doing this you will not see your old repositories since their location has changed.)

Q: My repositories I used in RapidMiner 5 are gone in RapidMiner Studio 6!
A: See above question. You need to follow the steps above.

Q: I cannot start RapidMiner Studio 6 on MacOS!
A: For RapidMiner Studio 6 to run on Mac, you do need Mac OS 10.7.3 or newer AND you do need to run Java 7. If you have Java 6 and 7 installed in parallel, make sure you are using the correct one. To that end, open a terminal and type "java -version". Java 7 will report a version number of 1.7.0. You can then start RapidMiner Studio 6 by just double-clicking "RapidMiner Studio.app". If that fails, try running RapidMiner-Studio.sh. The error message "Unsupported major.minor version 51.0" means that you are still using Java 6.

Licensing
Q: Why are you doing this?
A: First things first: No existing user of RapidMiner is losing anything but rather is getting more options. Up until now we had a separate enterprise version which had additional features not included in the community edition. The reason is that at the end the enterprise customers are the ones who invest most into the future development of the RapidMiner platform, which is something we think you all understand.
However, that differentiation will no longer exist in the future, as all future RapidMiner Studio versions will contain every feature in every edition. The only restrictions are the ones you can see on the website here.
Further clarification can be found here.

Q: What Editions are available?
A: Starter (free of charge), Personal, Professional, Enterprise. You can also aquire a 14-day trial license for the professional edition and there will be a special offer for academic users available in the near future.

Q: What does the free 'Starter Edition' contain?
A: The RapidMiner Studio 6 'Starter Edition' includes every feature of RapidMiner Studio 6, but main memory usage and import data sources are restricted:
  • it can use up to 1GB of main memory
  • it can read CSV and Excel files
Q: Where can I get a 14-day trial license of the 'Professional' edition?
A: Go to https://rapidminer.com/my-account/, click on 'Free Trial of Professional' and follow the steps. At the end, your license key is displayed in a textbox. Select it (Ctrl+A), copy it into your clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste it (Ctrl+V) into RapidMiner Studio 6 'Manage Licenses...' dialog in the 'Help' menu.

Q: So RapidMiner Studio is closed source from now on?
A: Yes and No. The latest major version (i.e. RapidMiner Studio 6 at the moment) will be closed source, while the previous version will be open source without any restrictions. This means that as soon as RM 7 is released, the 6 series will then be released as the new community edition and so on. See our new community website for further information.

Q: Can I continue using RapidMiner 5?
A: Absolutely. Nothing changes for RapidMiner 5, it is still open source and it will continue to be available in its current form.

Q: What does this mean for me?
A: You can evaluate and use RapidMiner Studio 6 indefinetly with the free of charge 'Starter Edition'. If you need more data import sources or more available main memory, you can upgrade to one of the larger editions. If that is not an option, you can continue using RapidMiner 5 without any restrictions whatsoever just as before.
And finally, once RapidMiner Studio 7 has been released in the future, you will be able to use RapidMiner Studio 6 without any restrictions.

RapidMiner Server
Q: How do I configure the memory settings of RapidMiner Server?
A: During installation of RapidMiner Server, you can define the main memory assigned to the Server. If this changes, e.g. once you purchase a new license, you need to change this configuration. To do so, please follow these steps:
1. Browse your RapidMiner Server installation folder. Change to the "bin" subfolder.
2. Edit the configuration file:
1. On Windows:
Edit the file "standalone.bat.conf". Locate the line starting with
   set "JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms512M -Xmx%{MAX_MEMORY}m
2. On Linux/Unix/Mac OS:
Edit the file "standalone.conf". Locate the line starting with
   JAVA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx%{MAX_MEMORY}m
Here, %{MAX_MEMORY} is a placeholder representing whatever you entered during the first installation.
3. Edit this line, replacing %{MAX_MEMORY} by the amount of memory, in megabytes, you want to assign to the server.
4. Save the file and restart the server.

Last Edit: fixed RM Server memory configuration file names

Answers

• servumtuumservumtuum Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    I have a couple of questions. First, you state that as newer editions of RapidMiner are released, the previous generations will become free versions like Rapidminer 5 is now.  Is my understanding correct there?  If that is indeed the case which version of Rapidminer 6 would revert to free status the Starter Edition with its filetype import restrictions and memory usage limitations or would the full version of RapidMiner 6 become the free version when RapidMiner 7 is released.

Secondly, will the Starter Edition of RapidMiner 6 run with the JRE installation I am using for RapidMiner 5.3.015 (64 bit version)?

I have one more specific question regarding repositories.  If I install RapidMiner 6 Starter Edition alongside my current RapidMiner 5.3.015 would it be able to access the repositories I am using with RapidMiner 5.3.015?

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

1) Yes. Once RapidMiner Studio 7 is released (obviously we are talking rather distant future here), RapidMiner Studio 6 will be completely free without any restrictions.
    2) RapidMiner Studio 6 needs Java 7. If you are running it on Windows, the JRE is shipped with RapidMiner Studio, otherwise you need to use your own JRE.
    3) Yes. Just go to your USER_HOME/.RapidMiner5 folder afterwards, and copy the "repositories" folder to the USER_HOME/.RapidMiner folder and you are good to go. If you did not use the default repositories folder, you need to add them manually in RapidMiner Studio again.

Regards,
    Marco
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    With the Starter Edition, my process is crashing with an out-of-memory error.

How can I know if upgrading to the Personal or Professional versions will give me enough memory for the process not to crash?
  • tmanasatmanasa Member Posts: 13 Contributor II
    Bump
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

unfortunately there is not really an easy way to tell. It depends on the data and the operations you want to do. You can try to sample down your data and run your process on a very small sample and see how much memory it needs. Then increase the sample size and see how much it needs after that. Increasing the sample size several times might give you an idea on how much more memory is needed for your full data. While some operators will scale in a linear way with increased data size (or even better), others might grow exponentially. Certain combinations of operators and certain features of the data can also greatly affect the amount of memory needed.

Regards,
    Marco
  • aborgaborg Member Posts: 66 Contributor II
    Is my understanding correct that with the new version (6) the previously released AGPL/GPL extensions cannot be used legally without getting a different license first for them or the arrival of RM 7 when RM 6 will be released under AGPL? (I guess this holds for all new versions, though I guess the Rapid-i developed extensions are offered under a different license too.)
    Thanks, gabor
  • veveveve Member Posts: 63 Contributor II

For RapidMiner Server, where is the file configuration.conf situated?

Thank you very much,
    Hi,

sorry for the confusion, the name of the config file was wrong. It should be "standalone.conf" / "standalone.conf.bat". I fixed the name in the original post. The location (RM_Server/bin folder) did not change.

Regards,
    Marco
  • wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    Dear all,

Any thoughts on reverse engineering?
    Is the rapid miner going to take legal actions when some hack appears on the internet?

Best regards,

Wessel

Q: What does the free 'Starter Edition' contain?
    A: The RapidMiner Studio 6 'Starter Edition' includes every feature of RapidMiner Studio 6, but main memory usage and import data sources are restricted:

it can use up to 1GB of main memory
        it can read CSV and Excel files
  • veveveve Member Posts: 63 Contributor II
    There is a confusion:

On the rapidMiner website we can download the comunity edition of rapidminer but we cannot download the community edition of rapidminer server.

Personally, I download the rapidminer server and then I thought that is free, and is not. :|
  • Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Dear veve,

you should be able to download RapidMiner v5.3 as well as RapidMiner Server v1.3 via the download page.
    On the download page just click on "Looking for RapidMiner v5.3?" and you'll see both downloads.

@Wessel: The source code of RapidMiner v6 is closed source and under copyright of RapidMiner.
    You can use RapidMiner v5.3 with it's AGPL license if you want to modify anything but if someone is going to offer a changed version of RapidMiner 6
    we reserve the right to take legal steps against anyone infringing our terms of use.

Best regards,
    Nils
  • wesselwessel Member Posts: 537 Maven
    Hey Nils,

Thanks for your reply.

I meant no harm when asking about your position towards reverse engineering.
    At the time of asking I came across a website showing all kind of cracks for statistics products: SAS, Matlab, SkyTreeLearn, etc.
    Was worried that they might show up for RM in the future.
    Nils wrote:

@Wessel: The source code of RapidMiner v6 is closed source and under copyright of RapidMiner.
    You can use RapidMiner v5.3 with it's AGPL license if you want to modify anything but if someone is going to offer a changed version of RapidMiner 6
    we reserve the right to take legal steps against anyone infringing our terms of use.