RapidMiner Studio 6 on Mac OS X

MichaelKnopfMichaelKnopf Administrator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 31 RM Data Scientist
edited August 2019 in Help
UPDATE, 6th of May, 2015:

RapidMiner Studio 6.4 now comes with a dedicated OS X version which ships with its own .dmg installer. It behaves much like a native OS X application and should alleviate previous starting problems on Mac.

-----

This post is directed at users that struggle with running RapidMiner Studio 6 on Mac OS X. In particular, the problem that RapidMiner Studio 6 does not start despite having installed Java 7 is addressed.

Some Background

There is no Java Runtime Environment shipped with the platform independent release of RapidMiner Studio. Instead the default Java installation of the operating system is used. RapidMiner Studio 6 requires Java 7 or newer. However,  Apple only ships a Java 6 release along with its operating system. This means that  you have to install a Java 7 release manually. You can download Java 7 at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.

Problem Description

Unfortunately, this still does not solve the startup problems for some users. In some cases RapidMiner Studio is unable to find this new installation, tries to use the old one instead, and thus fails to start showing a warning that the Java installation is outdated.

Solutions

We hope to solve this problem with the upcoming update of RapidMiner Studio. Until then, you can try one of the following two approaches:

Install a Java 7 Development Kit (JDK)

In most cases installing the Java Development Kit (JDK) instead of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) solves the problem. However, the JDK requires additional disk space. Another option is to use a preview release of the new Mac OS X Launcher of RapidMiner Studio.

Use the Preview Release of the New Mac OS X Launcher

You can download preview release of the new Mac OS X Launcher here:

RapidMiner Studio version 6 up to 6.0.008
RapidMiner Studio version 6.1

This launcher should be able to detect Java 7 installations even if they are not the system default. To use this launcher, extract the archive and copy the included files (“RapidMiner Studio (Preview).app” and RapidMiner-Studio-Preview.sh) to the root directory of your RapidMiner installation (the same directory that contains the old launcher named “RapidMiner Studio.app”). You should now be able to run RapidMiner Studio by double clicking on the new launcher (“RapidMiner Studio (Preview).app”). Please consider sending us some feedback concerning this new launcher!

Please Send Us Feedback (Preview Launcher)
You can help us identifying potential problems with the new launcher by sending use the following information (e.g., via PM or reply to this thread):
  • The contents of the log "OSX-Startup.log". This file will be created in the directory containing (“RapidMiner Studio (Preview).app”) when you use the new launcher.
  • The version of Mac OS X you are running (click on the Apple Symbol in the menu bar and open "About This Mac").
  • Your default Java installation (open Terminal and run "java -version")
  • Your default Java 7 installation (open Terminal and run "/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7")
  • You JRE installation (if any) (open Terminal and run "/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version")
To all users providing us with this information: Thank you for the feedback!
Tagged:

Answers

• sccardaissccardais Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
    I am not able to load RapidMiner Studio on Mac OS X v 10.9.4 with Java version shown below (copied from Terminal)
    • java version "1.8.0_20"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)
    When launching RapidMiner, I get the following error message:

"The maximum memory setting of '3.641' MB is not valid for your current license. Please make sure that the RapidMinder Studio launch script is not manipulated and restart RapidMiner Studio."

How do I make sure the RapidMinder launch script hasn't been manipulated and more generally, what do I need to do to configure RapidMiner to launch successfully?

Thank you.
  • pedroparamopedroparamo Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    I am having the same issue.  I tried using 'java -Xmx1024M -jar rapidminer.jar' in Terminal from lib folder but get the following and no launch:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/rapidminer/gui/RapidMinerGUI : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
    Peters-iMac:lib pedro$ run java -Xmx1024M -jar rapidminer.jar
    -bash: run: command not found
    Peters-iMac:lib pedro$ java -Xmx1024M -jar rapidminer.jar
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/rapidminer/gui/RapidMinerGUI : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

How can I get RapidMiner to launch?

Thanks.

Pedro

• pedroparamopedroparamo Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    I installed the java jdk package from here--http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html-- and it now launches properly.

Pedro
  • aegeanaegean Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    I'm trying to launch Rapid Miner Studio. app 6.2.0 on mac osx yosemite version 10.10.2 with java 8 update 31 and  I get the following error message

Starting RapidMiner Studio failed!

Reason: RapidMiner Studio requires Java 1.7 or newer. Found Java 1.6.

• highlanderhighlander Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    I have the same problem as Aegean does:  fail to launch Rapid Miner Studio. app 6.2.0 on mac osx yosemite version 10.10.2 with java 8 installed, and  gott the following error message:

Starting RapidMiner Studio failed!

Reason: RapidMiner Studio requires Java 1.7 or newer. Found Java 1.6.

Is there a fix coming?  And it seems this issue also surface one year ago, on OS X 10.9. 

Thanks
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

Studio 6.4 now comes with a dedicated OS X version which ships with its own .dmg installer. It behaves much like a native OS X application and should alleviate previous starting problems on Mac.

Regards,
    Marco