where to configure R extension dll?

jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Guru
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi, I have been using R extension without problem before. Recently, maybe because I installed a new R at a different path (used to be C:\, and now C:\program files\R), RM report error about R extension at launch:

can't load IA 32-bit.dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

I read this post and this post. Where do I configure the path of jri.dll?

rapidminer.r.native.lib = C:\Users\rajiv\Documents\R\win-library\2.15\rJava\jri\x64\jri.dll

I thought I could click "Select JRI library file" at the following interface, but it doesn't let me browser to find the path, it just tells me "Found library" (which is the wrong library). 

Where can I manually configure this? Thanks-

Untitled4.png

Tagged:

Answers

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

Hi. We no longer support this extension. Please use the new R Scripting extension: https://marketplace.rapidminer.com/UpdateServer/faces/product_details.xhtml?productId=rmx_r_scripting

• jujujuju Member Posts: 39 Guru

thank you Tom!

I uninstalled and reinstalled R extension

Untitled5.png

And have the same error at the launch of RM. I'm using RM studio 6.4.000 WIN64 Professional Edition

Let me know how I could fix it please. Thank you!

• Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

You need to set the path to the RScript.exe file in your Studio preferences. 

thank you T-Bone~

It's already pointing to Rscript.exe...

Untitled6.png

If you're still having problems, check how you installed R. The new R Scripting extension was created to specifically address the installation errors and problems.  

It should be as simple as installing your R, then the R Scripting Extension, and then pointing to the Rscript.exe file via your preferences (as you show).  Did you click "Test?" A greem checkmark should come up. If it doesn't then it's with your R installation, not on RapidMiner's side.

• JessForbesRMJessForbesRM RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 38 RM Data Scientist

Now that the supported extension is installed, do you see any errors while trying to use it?  

Thank you T-Bone. I clicked test and it worked.

Untitled6.png

So did you mean I shouldn't have need to configure jri.dll? I still have the problem now...

Untitled7.png

Ah, you have the old R extension interfering with your RapidMiner Studio. Make sure you have remove the old R extension from your Extension > Manage Extension dialoge and that the old JAR file is completely removed from your file system

Thank you T-Bone!

I now see the problem is I can only install the old version of R scripting 6.4.0, because my RM is 6.4.000

Untitled7.png 

Is upgrading to RM 7.2 the only solution? Other people in my company's using RM 6.4 too and they don't have problem...

Upgrading to 7.2 gives you access to the latest algorithms and memory management enhancements we made, so I would suggest you do that as a general matter of course BUT you don't need to run R.

So let's make some definitions to avoid confusion. Sometime in 2010 RapidMiner released the "R Extension." The R Extension required you to set the R_HOME path, install the rJava library and set the DLL path to it. Once you got it working, it was great. It gave you a development GUI and a basic integration with RapidMiner.  The problem was that it was a pain in the ass to configure and get working. If you upgraded R or RapidMiner, you ran the risk of it breaking and going through the entire install again.

This was a BIG problem and our customers started asking for something better, so we re-engineered things and released the "R Scripting" extension. The R Scripiting extension removed the R GUI interface and simplified things by just pointing the to the RScript.exe during execution time. This allowed uses to use any R distribution they choose, provided the set the path to the RScript.exe in their Preferences (you already did that).

From what I can deduce, you first installed the old R Extension and it didn't work. We no longer support that extension and development has ceased on it. It is no longer compatiable with RM versions 6+, so this why it didn't work for you. Then you installed the R Scripting extension and it pathed correctly. 

Then you loaded up RapidMiner and got that "Could not load native library / Deactivate R for this Session, etc" error. That error is related to the old R Extension NOT the R Scripting extension. I don't know how you uninstalled the old R Extension, but there is some artificat of the installation still on your machine. THIS is why you get that error everytime. 

Note: There is also a complaint about 32 bit vs 64 bit R and RapidMiner. RapidMiner requires R to be in 64 bit architecture. 

My suggestion (from easy to nuclear) is to do the following.

1. Check if the R Extension is toggled on in your Manage Extension dialouge (Extensions > Manage Extensions)

Manage Extensions.png

2. If you don't see any old R Extension artificat in there, then I'd suggest you uninstall R completely and reinstall it. This should get rid of the rJava library and all the other complaining dependencies in lieu of a clean install. Then repath the RScript.exe

• JessForbesRMJessForbesRM RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 38 RM Data Scientist

Hi,

I believe what Tom is referring to is there are likely some residual options configured with the older R Extension.  Now that the R Scripting extension is installed you should make sure there are not any older extensions lingering.  

-You can do this by going to you extensions folder inside of your .Rapidminer path. Once any older "R Extension" jars are removed Rapidminer should be restarted.

Your error also mentions 32 bit versions compared to 64 bit - it is recommended that  your Studio and R versions match in this regards, if they do not you could see issues.