Options

"R Extension doesn't work for me"

dpetdpet Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
edited May 2019 in Help
I just installed the R extension, configured it according it to all steps in the "Installation Guide", and restarted. However I still can't see the new "R" perspective.  RapidMiner provides no clue what the actual issues is. Anyone an idea? I am running on a Mac ("Snow Leopard").

Dirk
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Dirk,
    so the installation guide poped up after the restart? Then at least the java part of the extension is loaded.
    The problem must then lie in the connection to the native libraries of R. Are you sure you have met all prerequisits? Is your java directory configured correctly, path variables updated? And finally does the architecture of the used Java Runtime Enviroment match the R installation?

If you have checked all this, please post the complete console output of RapidMiner during start up, when you start it from a console.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    AliAli Member Posts: 1 Contributor I
    Hi Dirk,

have you set the R_HOME environment variable properly?

R_HOME=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.11/Resources
    works fine for me.
  • Options
    PrekoPreko Member Posts: 21 Contributor II
    I also had problems on Mac OS X Leopard. The solution was to add the following line to the RapidMinerGUI script with which I start RapidMiner:
    export R_HOME=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.11/Resources

I think this R_HOME variable is not in the Installation Guide, I just found out based on the console logs. Also the filename for the JRI is different, in my case libjri.jnilib, maybe these should be added to the guide.
  • Options
    IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi,

thanks for pointing this out - we will add those points to the guide (Sebastian?).

Cheers,
    Ingo
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    actually the lib name might differ on different Operating Systems, but should be imported correctly from java automatically. Of course it's missleading, I will add these to the installation guide.

Thank you all for this information.

By the way:
    What are your experiences with the R Extension? Any feedback is welcome to improve it with the next versions...

Greetings,
      Sebastian