Options

Operations with Data/Time Attribute

edusredusr Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello,

I just started to explore RM functionalities while using commercial packages for business purpose. It is a great open-source package. Appreciate the efforts from those guys behind.

Does RM support any logic operations (e.g. attr1 > attr2?) among data/time attributes? Say, I wanted to select examples by defining a data_time attribute range through "Filter Examples," how do I write a constant of data_time type? Or can I generate such a value in any operators, and then make the comparison?

Thank you!

edusr

Answers

• Options
    fritmorefritmore Member Posts: 90 Contributor II
    edusr wrote:

Hello,

I just started to explore RM functionalities while using commercial packages for business purpose. It is a great open-source package. Appreciate the efforts from those guys behind.

Does RM support any logic operations (e.g. attr1 > attr2?) among data/time attributes? Say, I wanted to select examples by defining a data_time attribute range through "Filter Examples," how do I write a constant of data_time type? Or can I generate such a value in any operators, and then make the comparison?

Thank you!

edusr
    hi

dunno if it helps but try with Generate attributes operator that allows you to make math expressions with attributes generating so a new one.
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    actually you pointed out one of the last very unconvenient parts of RapidMiner. The Filter Example operator will be changed completely in one of the next releases.
    But as already pointed out, you can use the Generate Attribute operator to evaluate any expression. You can later filter by the outcome of the expression using filter example again.

Greetings,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    fritmore wrote:

hi

dunno if it helps but try with Generate attributes operator that allows you to make math expressions with attributes generating so a new one.

I tried and it works! Thank you for the idea!
  • Options
    Sebastian Land wrote:

Hi,
    actually you pointed out one of the last very unconvenient parts of RapidMiner. The Filter Example operator will be changed completely in one of the next releases.
    But as already pointed out, you can use the Generate Attribute operator to evaluate any expression. You can later filter by the outcome of the expression using filter example again.

Greetings,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian, I tried the idea, and it works well. Thank you!

One more area I would look forward to some improvements is on interactive data exploration.  What I mean is, giving an example, select/de-select examples through marking points in plots, which may need a system attribute to record the example/case status. The newly selected example/case set can then be saved in repositories or passed to operators in a process for more analysis. - just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi,
    it's already on our todo for 6.0. But we can't do magic.

Greetings,
    Sebastian