RapidMiner 9.7 is Now Available

Lots of amazing new improvements including true version control! Learn more about what's new here.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

"How to do spreadsheet like time series calculations in Rapidminer ?"

AjAj Member Posts: 23  Maven
edited May 2019 in Help
Hello,

I would like to calculate the following type of time series function using Rapidminer

A = A[n-1] + B[n-1]

where B[n-1] = f( A[N-1], C[N-1] ) , i.e function of A[N-1] and C[N-1]

In spreadsheet, one can do it by A[2] = A[1] + B[1] and extending it to the required number of cells.

How can I do it in Rapidminer?
First, I first tried "Generate Attribute" operator, by typing
A= A + B
i.e c language equivalent of  A += B
I was hoping that rapidminer will understand that I was referring to the previous value of A (I had taken care of the first value of "A" by initializing it using if condition.
But, I got a message mentioning something like A is not defined.

I then thought of implementing it by using "Windowing" operator. For this, I first loaded data from excel, then aligning A[2], A[1] and B[1] in one row by applying "Windowing" operator with
parameters set as
series representation -> examples
horizon -> 1
window size -> 2
step size -> 1

They all align, i.e A[2], A[1] and C[1] all align in one row, but A[2] does not contain right value. I cannot use "Generate Attributes" to modify A[2] value because A[2] is already generated. I am not able to use Set Data because the parameter "Value" of it can only be constant and not a variable ( I was willing to do a loop for each example row, even though it would be inefficient).

I tried to have access to the array index by generating an attribute index(id) using  "index series" element ( I renamed "index(id) to indexId, so that it does not conflict with "index(string, string)" function ). But, when I was using A[ index(id)] (tried square brackets and parentheses) in generate attribute, I am getting error message that "A" is not available.

I tried other Rapidminer elements relating to series and/or windowing. I either did not understand the documentation or find them relevant.

Could anyone please help me as to how I can implement a time series in Rapidminer, just like the way we can do it in spreadsheet using different cells.

Thanks,
Ajay
Tagged: