Options

[SOLVED] Update RapidMiner to 5.1.17?

DoloopDoloop Member Posts: 20 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
When I run update RapidMiner it says I have version 5.1.014 installed and I can install version 5.1.17.  But, after i do that, I still, apparently, have version 5.1.014.  I've run update several times and the update to version 5.1.17 never seems to get installed.  What gives?

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

RapidMiner probably lacks the required rights to write in the folder you installed it into. Most prominent example is the C:\Program Files directory when using Windows Vista / 7.
    Make sure to execute RapidMiner with the required priviliges to update itself, on a windows machine you can do so by right-clicking the icon and select "Run as administrator".

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Marco, thanks for the reply.

I am using a Mac OS 10.7.2 (Lion).  I opened a terminal and ran rapidminer.jar as superuser ('sudo") but rapidminer "hangs" and will not start. I am sure this is related to the fact that I have the ImageMiner extension installed.  After great difficulty I got rapidminer to work with ImageMiner by installing the latest version of Java for the Mac.  (ImageMiner caused rapidminer to hang when running JE 6 instead of JE 7).  When I try to run rapidminer with super user privileges in order to get the update of rapidminer to 5.1.17 "to stick", rapidminer hangs up.  This suggests to me that it is now trying to load JE 6 again instead of JE 7.  I tried disabling JE 6 on my system, but the result is the same - rapidminer just hangs up when I try to run as "sudo".  If I run without the sudo command, rapidminer loads up and I can use it - I just can't update to 5.1.17.

By the way, I also tried removing ImageMiner from plugins.  Then I  was able to load rapidminer with the sudo command.  After it loaded, I told it to update to 5.1.17.  It went through the process and said it completed successfully.  I then restarted rapidminer and looked at the version number - STILL 5.1.014!!!
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,995 RM Engineering
    Hi,

ImageMiner is not a managed extension, but a 3rd party extension, so please report any problems concerning it to the author of the extension.
    Apart from that, I don't know why the update fails for you, it might be some Mac Java problem.
    Can you start RapidMiner via console and see if any errors show up when you try to run the update?

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Marco, here is the output within the terminal window:

Jan 14, 2012 9:46:54 AM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager performUpdates
    INFO: Updating RapidMiner core.
    Jan 14, 2012 9:48:05 AM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager updateRapidMiner
    INFO: Prepared RapidMiner for update. Restart required.
    Jan 14, 2012 9:48:17 AM com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI$ShutdownHook run
    INFO: Running shutdown sequence.
    Jan 14, 2012 9:48:17 AM com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics save
    WARNING: Cannot save operator usage statistics: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
    org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.createElement(CoreDocumentImpl.java:618)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.OperatorUsageStatistics.getXML(OperatorUsageStatistics.java:67)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics.getXML(UsageStatistics.java:275)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics.save(UsageStatistics.java:287)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI$ShutdownHook.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:195)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.quit(RapidMiner.java:639)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.MainFrame.exit(MainFrame.java:1310)
    at com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateDialog$4.run(UpdateDialog.java:204)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.tools.ProgressThread$2.run(ProgressThread.java:176)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
    Jan 14, 2012 9:48:17 AM com.rapid_i.Launcher relaunch
    INFO: RapidMiner will be restarted...

• Options
    mrproppermrpropper Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Did you get your update done? I understand your update issue was not yet answered.
  • Options
    AlbertCSparksAlbertCSparks Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Hello

I am having the same issue on two separate Mac computers (both running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

The updates download and I get a message to restart RapidMiner. The application then closes (but doesn't restart). When I manually restart, it is still the old version.

Any progress with this issue? Updates seem to be having no effect.

Thanks for your help.

Albert

Edit: Unlike the OP, I do not have the ImageMiner plugin installed (nor any extensions). I have not had any other issues with RapidMiner.
  • Options
    Hi,

how do you launch RapidMiner? The update will not work if you start it via the .jar file, you need to launch it via the RapidMinerGUI script in the scripts folder in RapidMiner.
    See here for details on how to do that.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    AlbertCSparksAlbertCSparks Member Posts: 4 Contributor I
    Thanks Marco, that did the trick.

I was previously running it from the .jar file but will use the script editor from now on.