Options

"[solved] I'm overwhelmed. I just want a histogram or two."

ChrisNelsonChrisNelson Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
I'm new to datamining and ETL (whatever that is).  I have some simple data in a CSV file and I want to display it in histograms broken down by various components.  (I have more ambitious plans but if I can't do that, I can't do anything.)  I can't get past adding a CSV reader from the Import category and I'm very frustrated.

I'm using v5.2.  The tutorial generates errors and the documents suggest there's an advanced charting feature but I can't find it.

What I imagine I want to do is:

* Read the CSV
* Divide the data into bins
* Display the bins as a bar chart

But the second and third step elude me.  Help!

Chris

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi Chris,

can you please describe the errors you get in more detail? Please have a look at the link in my signature about which information to include.

You get the advanced charts feature if you connect the output of the Read CSV operator to the process output on the right. After you run the process, go to the results perspective and open the tab labelled "Read CSV". There you have for radio buttons, one of them should be labelled "Advanced Charts".

Happy Mining!
    Marius
  • Options
    ChrisNelsonChrisNelson Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
    Did that, then I found that for some reason my CSV import had a semicolon as the separator character so I had one column foo,bar,baz,grill with weird values like "1,abc,2,3.4" but once I fix that the Plot View is nearly good enough for what I need.  Gorgeous and easy.  Getting a histogram out of Excel was like pulling teeth.

I find it awkward that a histogram has a setting for number of bins rather than the range of the bins but I can work with that.
  • Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    You may want to have a look at the Discretization operators, espacially Discretize by User Specification.