Help getting RapidMinerGUI to run after import project into Eclipse

JayCarrJayCarr Member Posts: 23 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
So, for reasons that can only be described as silly, I'm unable to use svn to load my project into Eclipse.  Instead I went to the SourceForge page and downloaded the file "rapidminer-5.3.005.zip" opened up the project and imported it into Eclipse as a pre-existing project.

Everything seems to show up fine, but I'm having trouble getting Eclipse to execute RapidMinerGUI.  I've set up a new Debug Configuration with the following info:

Project: RapidMiner_Unuk
Main Class: com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI
Includes system library's when searching for a main class: yes
Include inherited mains when searching for a main class: yes
Stop in main: No

When I tell it to debug I get this error:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/rapidminer/gui/RapidMinerGUI
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
For some reason it can't seem to see the RapidMinerGUI inside of the provided class file.  This is especially odd to me because I used a wizard to find the class...so it seems like if the wizard can see it, Eclipse should be able to as well.

Any thoughts?
Tagged:

Answers

• JayCarrJayCarr Member Posts: 23 Contributor II
    If someone could even just give me a push in the right direction I would appreciate it...  Could someone at least comment on if the package I downloaded from SourceForge should even work?  I'd be nice to know if I'm chasing a dead end.

UPDATE - I did a little poking around the Class Path in Project Properties (in Eclipse), it seems that 'resources generated' is missing as is 'src_agpl'.  Am I supposed to generate these?  Or are they just not included in the downloadable package?  (Remember, I can't get access to the svn repository right now.)  How do I get ahold of them?

UPDATE 2 - So, I decided that perhaps I don't have them because of the fact that I haven't been building using the Ant file build.xml.  So, I went into Eclipse and told it to run Build.xml as an Ant build file.  Problem being that it failed to build the Ant file.  It's giving me an error as follows
    Buildfile: C:\Users\jcarr14\Eclipse\Workspace\RapidMiner_Unuk\build.xml
      [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml. It could not be found.
    Not sure how to approach this one.  I'll probably post it on StackOverflow, but I wanted to post it here just incase it's Rapid-Miner specific.  So, if anyone has any ideas, please tell me.
  • aborgaborg Member Posts: 66 Contributor II
    Hello, it seems you miss the ant-contrib-1.0b3.jar from ant's classpath. As I remember I had to do nothing special besides the things the INSTALL.txt.
    I used the following targets (from the project folder, without further options, dependencies with JDK7): clean, build, createJar
    Executing the project's main also work for me: com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI, (Oracle JDK7) vmargs: ${jrebel_args} -Xmx1024m -Xms246m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+UseCompressedOops
    Hope this helps, gabor
    That does appear to be at least part of the problem.  I actually got the same response over on StackOverflow and was just coming back to mention it when I saw you post.  It also appears that I'm missing "ant/appbunlder-1.0.jar".  I'm going to try installing that and will report back on if that finally solves the problem.

It is good to know that it is supposed to be able to work though, so thank you for directing me to the Install.txt file again.  I had read it once before, but for some reason had never made it to the bottom and since building the project didn't seem like "Installing" to me, I didn't think to go back to that file.  I'll have to remember this when dealing with other open source projects as well.  It makes sense to put build instructions in the Install file...

I think part of the problem is that I'm doing this all in Eclipse, without really using the command line.  So installing the jars has been a little tricky.  But I think we're just about there.  Thanks again for your help.
    UPDATE:  So, in the latest of what has been a very long and odd day, I finally threw in the towel at work and went home, but, me being me, I couldn't stop thinking about trying to get this ruddy thing to work.  So I downloaded the latest revision onto my computer at home, used the same procedure I had been using at work to fire it up and *bam* it worked, RapidMinerGUI compiled and ran!  Which is great news except my company is unlikely to let me use my computer at work nor would they let me work from home...

A couple thoughts (any insights are welcome.)  There are some major differences between my work environment and my home environment.  The most obvious is that I was able to use Subversion at home (without all those pesky IT admins randomly blocking up ports with strange rules and red tape), which may have made a difference.  I did package up the svn version though and throw it into DropBox (which I can get at at work), so maybe that will solve that little problem.

The second possible difference is that at home I'm working on a Mac, whereas at work I use a PC.  Not sure why that would make a difference, but you never know iSuppose. 

At any rate, as the issue is still not really resolved I welcome any comments on the situation as it currently sits...  I'd especially like to know if there is a difference between the SVN project and the regularly downloaded project, I'm under the impression there isn't.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to completely uninstall RapidMiner from my system and start for scratch to see if that fixes the problem.  I've noticed that when I start the rapidminer.jar from inside my project structure (the one that came with the download) it opens with the plug-ins in my regular install, which is confusing because I haven't put any plug-ins in my projects plug-in folder.  So...maybe it's just time to clean it all out and start from scratch.
    The plugins are available in your home folder in the ~/.RapidMiner5/ folder.
    I had no problems with Windows and Linux (without limiting firewall rules), I have no Mac.
    I have never used a zip archive to grab the sources, only SVN (or git after I cloned the SVN repo).
    Ah, that might explain why they are showing up even though I'm running the app from another location.

And yeah, I'm aware doing this without SVN is a bit odd.  Trust me, it's not my preferred method.  I do have a local Git repository though.  Might be smart for me to start using that for my own benefit...  I'll figure that out after I've figured out how to make this thing work...

• Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi,

without the SVN version it maybe really hard to get RapidMiner run via Eclipse because we do not ship project configuration files with the open source version.
    Furthermore the src_agrp and src_generated folders missing might be real blockers. We will have a look into that.

I would strongly suggest you to use the SVN version so I  hope that your Dropbox solution works!

Best regards,
    Nils
    Yeah, the DropBox solution is kind of stopped at the moment because I think DropBox is a bit freaked out by the number of files I need to download.  Never to fear, over lunch I'm going to go home and zip it up and repost to my dropbox account.

Would it be possible for you guys to have a .zip file of your project that came out with every minor release (so 5.3.005 5.3.007 for example).  Not nightly, just enough to kind of keep me on track.  I'll never convince my work to let me svn to an outside source, so...  I'm really in need of another way to pull down the entire project.
  • Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    We will switch to GIT soon. Does this help you in any way?
    Unfortunately there will be no such zip file in the near future. But we probably will fix the current zip file to contain src_generated and src_agpl.
    With some configuration from your side it, you should be able to use it with Eclipse then.

Best regards,
    Nils
    You can download from my github mirror (the master branch) as a zip file. So you do not need to go home. ;) I only sync when there were a release, so the master is exactly as it was when 5.3.5 was released.
    Nils wrote:

We will switch to GIT soon. Does this help you in any way?
    Unfortunately there will be no such zip file in the near future. But we probably will fix the current zip file to contain src_generated and src_agpl.
    With some configuration from your side it, you should be able to use it with Eclipse then.
    Sadly, no, we're kind of trapped inside of our own fortress over here (at least for now, who knows what the future holds.)  Granted, it will help if you guys are using GitHub for your Git repo because GitHub has a built in functionality for packaging up a whole project in a .zip and downloading it.  Which is pretty much exactly what I need.

[quote author=aborg]
    You can download from my github mirror (the master branch) as a zip file. So you do not need to go home.  I only sync when there were a release, so the master is exactly as it was when 5.3.5 was released.
    [/quote]

Thanks aborg!  Yeah, this is basically what I was saying before except, you know, already done ;-).  Thanks!

Oh, and lastly, it was definitely that I needed the svn version.  I eventually got the project onto my computer and it worked perfectly.  So, yeah, bit of a headache, but I'm going to have to lay the blame on A) my lack of knowledge and experience with open source, B) my lack of knowledge of svn and, lastly, C) my companies weird firewall policies :D.