Options

Advanced charts in the report extension

tennenrishintennenrishin Member Posts: 177 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Are there any plans to make Advanced Charts reportable?

Isak

Answers

• Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Isak,

yes, we have plans to do so, but unfortunately no schedule yet. But admittedly a feature that I myself have been missing lately.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hi Marius -

Any progress on getting advanced charts in the reporting extension?

Scott
  • Options
    MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Hi Scott,

sorry, no news so far.

~Marius
  • Options
    sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hmmm...ok Marius.  Do I have any other options to preset advanced charts?  I'd like to automate many of the graphs that I currently produce in RM for clients.  The advanced charts is good but quite cumbersome to do on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    vwegertvwegert Member Posts: 10 Contributor II
    Just to bump this thread to the top again - as far as I can tell, the situation hasn't changed since the OP first asked, am I correct?

Thanks
      Volker
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    none that i can comment on.

due to the better Python/R integretion you can ofc. use ggplot/matplotlib if needed.
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Martin,

thanks for the update. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, it's not possible (or at least not trivial) to integrate a scripted ggplot/matplotlib solution with the Reporting extension, correct? If that is the case, I would have to look for an entirely different solution to generate the report surrounding the plots...

Thanks
      Volker
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    sadly yes
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Hi Volker -

Thanks for updating this thread.  I too still await this sorely needed update.

I will say that I have spent the summer getting RapidMiner Server running on AWS and it has very nice chart features.  And thanks to Tom Ott, there is a way to even use D3.js data visualizations within RM Server.  If you send me your email, I can send you a link to a screenshot video I took to give you some idea of what this can look like.  Also check out Tom Ott's YouTube video on D3.

Scott
  • Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Just a quick update for you guys as this thread is pretty active currently. 

It's currently possible to add both D3.js & advanced CSS & web styling into the HTML reports produced by the reporting extension so you can do quite a lot here already, it's just a bit manual. 

I've also found that the need to get Advanced Charts into the reporting extension is a sorely needed feature. 
    So we're going to develop it. 
    I've got two guys who have joined our team who from mid-September will be working on updating the reporting extension as their first project with RapidMiner China (amongst their day-to-day).  As soon as we have updates I'll let you guys know. 

Features we're adding:
    • Advanced Charts
    • Export of Confusion Matrix
    • Better decision tree exports
    • Nicer inclusion of CSS in HTML Reports
    • Addition of math formula layouts for models that can produce it
    • Better Excel & PDF layout options
    If there's anything anyone would like to add you can send me an email or include it in this thread and I'll add it to the Product Backlog. 
  • Options
    This sounds rather exciting. I'm probably too recent a RapidMiner user to make any useful in-depth propositions, but what comes to mind - especially when taking into consideration Martin Schmitz' suggestion of using an external plotting library - would be an "Add Image to Report" operator. It could take some kind of binary stream with an associated mime type and then generate the file name, write the contents to the file and add the image tag to the HTML report (or whatever's necessary for other report formats). I haven't tried the Python/R intro capabilities yet, but if it's possible to render a plot there and feed it into the reporting output, it should improve the flexibility quite a bit - and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, since most of the functionality should already be present in other places.

Oh, and one other thing might be useful: adding the possibility to expand macros in the HTML template...
  • Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Thanks for the reply. 

Actually, if you have the image processing extension from Burgsys it's already available to you.  You can connect the reporting extension to any image producing operator & choose Image as the reportable type.  This works in all report outputs including PDF & Excel. 

If you don't have the image extension then (you really should get it), but you can still do it with HTML reports and a combination of Macros, Write File & the Add Text operators. 
    Like many features of RapidMiner the Reporting extension is deceptively powerful and can do many things you might not expect it to. 
    I am going to ask the guys to make this a bit more usable and add some sample processes to demo some things. 

You have given me a great idea, instead of just having the Reporting extension accept binary file inputs how about having it output binary files? 
    Currently the output options are 'write to disk' or 'write to repository', this serves well for static reports, but what if I want to operationalize the reports that I've built with RapidMiner Server?  With a binary output I can design a process which produces a PDF report when a user clicks a download button on a RM Server web app. 
  • Options
    vwegert wrote:

This sounds rather exciting. I'm probably too recent a RapidMiner user to make any useful in-depth propositions, but what comes to mind - especially when taking into consideration Martin Schmitz' suggestion of using an external plotting library - would be an "Add Image to Report" operator. It could take some kind of binary stream with an associated mime type and then generate the file name, write the contents to the file and add the image tag to the HTML report (or whatever's necessary for other report formats). I haven't tried the Python/R intro capabilities yet, but if it's possible to render a plot there and feed it into the reporting output, it should improve the flexibility quite a bit - and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, since most of the functionality should already be present in other places.

Oh, and one other thing might be useful: adding the possibility to expand macros in the HTML template...
    Great News! You can definitly count on me in case you need a beta tester.

Something which comes into my mind: What's about interactive Charts? Like the stuff you can do with bokeh? (http://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/) ?
    And additionally: It would be nice to append/integrate those charts into the Send Mail operator.

Best,
    Martin
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Just had a look at it and it's already possible to add Bokeh.  I'll make sure to include a demo of that in the Beta testing examples. 
    Great shout on the Send Mail integration, do you mean as an email attachment or as the email body? 

• Options
    Hey,

ofc. you can use bokeh like D3.js in server. Or what is your idea on that?

Regarding sent mail: Both ways would be fine for me.
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    No I mean in the Reporting Extension, you can already create plots with R, Python (even Bokeh html plots) and then have it display in your static HTML reports. 
    Although you can't have it display in PDF or Excel at this point, you can style your CSS so that it fits onto an A4 page when printing & then use a PDF printer after that. 

• Options
    Okay, thats tricky..:-D

By the way, there is an extension helping you to work with covariance matricies:
    https://oldworldcomputing.com/
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    DocMusherDocMusher Member Posts: 333 Unicorn
    :):):):):):):)
    Is there only a paid version?
  • Options
    Excellent!  I'm downloading the demo now.  So is this Sebastian's new venture? 

Sven, there's a demo license you can use it on small datasets; if you need bigger datasets then buy a license and support RM developers. 
    The pricing isn't going to break the bank so if it's a good product help them shift as many in volume as possible to keep them developing more. 
  • Options
    DocMusherDocMusher Member Posts: 333 Unicorn
    I do agree. A nice application I would have loved to see integrated in RM related to statistics is Medcalc https://www.medcalc.org/. From the perspective of a clinician, the UI is close to how we like it. Moreover, the site is having a nice manual: https://www.medcalc.org/manual/index.php.
    Cheers
    Sven
  • Options
    uenge-sanuenge-san Member Posts: 12 Contributor II

Dear all,

this post is mainly to get the thread on the agenda again...

Was there any outcome of the discussion and development in 2015? As far as the last-update date in the marketplace of the reporting extension tells (last update: 2013/1/13) this seems to be not the case...

Thanks in advance!

• Options

hi @uenge-san - so the update is that no work has been done on that extension for a while. Why? Few reasons...

- many users use BI platforms such as Tableau and Qlik, so we worked hard to support those extensions for smooth data xfer

- RapidMiner developer @land at Old World Computing built his own "Advanced Reporting" extension which we think is pretty impressive 

That said, we do receive many requests for updating this extension. You can show your support here.

Scott

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn

Hi @uenge-san,

how urgent would that development be for you? We are always offering custom development for RapidMiner and would be interested in getting this feature ourselves so that we could share the price for that. If someone else wants to have that feature we can open a hat and throw money in it :)

Greetings,

Sebastian

• Options
    Thomas_OttThomas_Ott RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,761 Unicorn

@land I think a new modern visualization workbench operator would be really helpful. I would buy that. 

• Options
    JugiJugi RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Member Posts: 12 Contributor II
    It seems there will be a new visualization framework soon:
    http://docs-beta.rapidminer.com/latest/studio/releases/changes-9.2.0.html
    As it is based on HTML it would be awesome to include matplotlib or ggplot visualizations from R or Python scripting operators to the plots, as a lot of people know them from Jupyter notebooks.

PS: A create integration of the Jupyter was introduced in Knime just recently:
    https://www.knime.com/blog/knime-and-jupyter
  • Options
    yup - visualization workbench is brand-new and super cool. :smiley:
  • Options
    Telcontar120Telcontar120 Moderator, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,635 Unicorn
    You can actually check it out now in the RapidMiner 9.2 public Beta if you like!  I have played with it a bit so far and it is very nice.
    Brian T.
    Lindon Ventures 
    Data Science Consulting from Certified RapidMiner Experts