"Read Excel and Data Import Error Unable to Recognize OLE Stream"

robbenrobben Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
edited June 2019 in Help
Hi,
i have problems reading Excel files. I've tested simple single procedure with Read Excel operator working with file forced to be saved in Excel 97/2003 and it works ok.
But I should have to loop to read many of them (some hundrends) and they are named .xls  (but i think they are in Excel 2007/2010 new format) and i don't have any other way to save them.
When i try to test reading one of them i got Data Import Error that says "Error occurred importing ...filename... jxl.read.biff.BiffException: Unable to recognize OLE Stream".
Is there any step to solve the problem without converting all the hundreds of input files i have?
Thanks a lot

Tagged:

Answers

• MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 1,869 Unicorn
    Does it work if you rename the files to.xlsx?

Would it be an option to rename all files and then run the RapidMiner process? Of course that would not have to happen by hand, but you can also use RapidMiner or some command line magic to batch-rename all files.

Best regards,
    Marius
  • robbenrobben Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
    Ciao Marius,
    thanks for your interest. I have tried renaming the file in .xlsx but it countinues to give same error
    Any other solution?
    Roberto
    Ciao Roberto,

questo é strano, I suppose you can open the files without any problems in Excel? Can you mail me one of the files in question such that we can investigate the problem? In this case I would send you my mail address via PM.

Saluti,
    Marius
    Roberto, the files are actually HTML files. You can see that when you open them in a plain text editor.

Best regards,
    Marius