Password encryption

marcin_blachnikmarcin_blachnik Member Posts: 61 Guru
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi

When I use stand-alone RapidMiner the password to the  database is  encrypted in the  xml process file, but when I switch to my own code,which use RapidMiner as a library and call
RapidMiner.setExecutionMode(RapidMiner.ExecutionMode.COMMAND_LINE);
RapidMiner.init();
then the password is decrypted, and the  log file contains com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword
How can I change it? or force password encryption when RapidMiner is used as a library

Best

Marcin
Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

once you load the process XML, all ParameterTypePasswords in the process will be decrypted. There is no way around that - except obviously to use a predefined DB connection which keeps credentials out of the process XML and inside Studio itself.

Regards,
    Marco
  • marcin_blachnikmarcin_blachnik Member Posts: 61 Guru
    Hi

Thanks for the answer but it is not that case.
    I have a problem that in the process xml file which is stored on hard disk the password must be decrypted, so in other words RapidMiner reads password as a pure text. The file must contain something like:

<operator class="read_database">
                  <parameter key="password" value="xyz"/>
    </operator>

but it happens only when I run RapidMiner from within my application which uses RapidMiner as a library.

When I created the process using GUI the password was encrypted, but since I wanted to use it in embedded instance of RapidMiner within my application I have to rewrite the password decrypted. So now I'd like to know how to enable password encryption.

When I run RapidMiner in my embedded application in the log file it says:
    com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword

so it treats passwords as pure text, and I would like to turn it into

com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword encryptPassword

So I'd be very gratefull if anyone could help me how to turn back into encrypted passwords.

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

there have been quite some changes between version 5.3 and 6.5, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with the old version. What is the result in Studio 6.5?

Regards,
    Marco