When is the next Enterprise release?

haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
I'm on RM Enterprise 4.3 and eager to know when the next release will be made available. Does anybody know?

Answers

• haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    It's here!  ;D
    When I saw that this update had arrived I was pleased, as I had been waiting for the DatabaseExampleSetWriter operator fix.

Now that I've loaded it I wish I had not. I've had memory crashes on processes that used to work fine, and get the following entertainment....

Process failed
    OutOfMemoryErrorCaught
    GC Overhead limit exceeded

When Windows Task Manager says only 26% of physical memory is used! I'm not that surprised as the memory monitor was showing 50MB where it used to show 5GB in those halcyon days when my processes ran fine. I'm running Vista 64 and can only asssume that this version was not tested before release. Is there a facility to roll-back to 4.3 Enterprise? Clearly what I have is unusable.

Now have to inform clients that there will be a delay on their project. I coughed up good money precisely not to have this sort of thing happen, I guess I misunderstood the website blurb.

• IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Dear haddock,

we are really sorry for the inconvenience this update has caused in your case. Usually, there is is no difference (and there never was one until now) between the updates for 32 bit and 64 bit systems and thanks to Java we always were able to rely on the fact that an update always will run on both systems. For this update, things unfortunately were different and we had to change the start-up executable (.exe) in order to better support updates especially for Vista which sometimes prevented the update if some of the files were locked. Although those start-up executables are basically the same for both platforms, they were natively compiled and caused the problems on your system. On 32 bit systems, everything works well - but on 64 bit systems only a small amount of memory is used.  Again, we are really sorry for the inconvenience this means to you.

Today, there will be a mail going to all customers of the Enterprise Edition explaining what happened and which will also explain the following - luckily quite simple - workarounds.

1. The fist workaround will not need any additional action from your side. Simply use the start scrips in order to start RapidMiner (e.g. by using "RapidMiner (Console)" from the start menu instead of the usual "RapidMiner" start menu item or desktop icon). If the amount of used memory still is not sufficient, you can simply edit the line with "MAX_JAVA_MEMORY" in the start script (located in the scripts subdirectory) in order to allow for more memory.

2. The second workaround is also quite simple: Download and copy the file "RapidMiner.exe" (link below) to your RapidMiner installation dirtectoy and overwrite the existing file. Here is the link:

http://rapid-i.com/downloads/bugfix/4_3_1_x64/RapidMiner.exe

I understand that this is inconvenient to you but I hope that those workarounds are easy to perform and will not cause any further delay to your work. The next generation of our update mechanism will of course regard your operating system settings and will also allow to go back to an older version and even to switch between the latest stable releases and the latest developer releases. This new update engine will be shipped as soon as possible so it will hopefully will better suit your needs.

All the best,
    Ingo
    Hi Ingo,

Many thanks for your prompt response; to some extent I sympathise with you, Vista and 64 adds up to a toxic mix! Still, it does enable me to grind indecently large combinations, the results of which are exactly what I need to stick on someone else's server.

As an example of the toxicity I tried your first fix...
    1. The fist workaround will not need any additional action from your side. Simply use the start scrips in order to start RapidMiner (e.g. by using "RapidMiner (Console)" from the start menu instead of the usual "RapidMiner" start menu item or desktop icon). If the amount of used memory still is not sufficient, you can simply edit the line with "MAX_JAVA_MEMORY" in the start script (located in the scripts subdirectory) in order to allow for more memory.
    Loading the console worked fine, but only until the BAT file was edited to add more memory, after which the DOS window opened and closed so fast I could not read the contents.

So I've uninstalled 4.3001 and used rapidminer-4.3-enterprise-x64.exe, which I had presciently retained, to get back to where I was, namely still unable to write my lovely results to other databases. I guess this has the same net effect as your second fix.

Just as a final note, innocent bystanders should not get the wrong conclusion from this thread. It is precisely because RM empowers me that I complain, if it did not have the grunt to tackle large problems I would have nothing worth putting on other servers. On the back of that ability I'm just about to upgrade to dual quads with obscene amounts of gigglebites; so no difference between pooting and real life then, kick those closest to you, as you can't reach the rest!
  • IngoRMIngoRM Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Community Manager, RMResearcher, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,751 RM Founder
    Hi again,

I guess this has the same net effect as your second fix.
    Not really. The second fix (from this morning) actually used the updated version 4.3.001 but only used the old start up file (the one provided at the download link above). That is only affecting the start up process and would prevent future updates but still the latest version 4.3.001 would have been used.

In the meantime, we have built a fixed 64 bit executable (again only the start up file since the rest can remain exactly the same after the update) which can be downloaded at the same link as given above:

http://rapid-i.com/downloads/bugfix/4_3_1_x64/RapidMiner.exe

after the update to 4.3.001 was performed. Therefore I have changed my old post above which now states that this startup executable file can be downloaded and copied after the update was performed with no further interaction needed. So, also for all other RapidMiner Enterprise 64 bit users, this is the recommended way of updating from version 4.3.000 to version 4.3.001:

Option 1:
    ----------

- perform the automatic update from versions 4.3.000 or before
    - download and copy the file "RapidMiner.exe" above to the RapidMiner directory and overwrite the existing file

Option 2:
    -----------

- do not perform the automatic update but use the download link for the 64 bit version of RapidMiner 4.3.001 and install it manually. This download link will be send to you per mail during the next few hours.

Just for the sake of completeness (and for other readers of this thread): this all is only relevant for the RapidMiner Enterprise 64 bit version. Users of the 32 bit version are not affected.

Just as a final note, innocent bystanders should not get the wrong conclusion from this thread. It is precisely because RM empowers me that I complain, if it did not have the grunt to tackle large problems I would have nothing worth putting on other servers. On the back of that ability I'm just about to upgrade to dual quads with obscene amounts of gigglebites; so no difference between pooting and real life then, kick those closest to you, as you can't reach the rest!
    Don't worry, I fully understand your frustration and we are doing our very best to resolve this issue as quick and good as possible.

Cheers,
    Ingo