Can't run RM7 studio from Eclipse

StaryVenaStaryVena Member Posts: 126 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello everybody,
I have problem with running rapidminer sturio 7 form Eclipse. It show this error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not initialize RapidMiner Studio version from properties file
at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.initializeReleaseVersion(PlatformUtilities.java:184)
at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.initialize(PlatformUtilities.java:134)
at com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities.getReleaseVersion(PlatformUtilities.java:169)
at com.rapidminer.RapidMinerVersion.<init>(RapidMinerVersion.java:33)
at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.<clinit>(RapidMiner.java:163)
The problem is, that com.rapidminer.tools.PlatformUtilities class wrongly detects rapidminer.home property.
The problem is in method searchInBuildDir() on line 345.
line 346 sets url variable to "C:/Users/xuherv00/git/rapidminer-studio/bin/"
line 351 sets buildDir to "C:\Users\xuherv00\git\rapidminer-studio"
line 357 sets rmHome to "C:\Users\xuherv00\git" which is wrong.

I used actual version from GIT.

Is there any workaround?

Thanks for any advice.

Best wishes
Vaclav

Answers

• Nils_WoehlerNils_Woehler Member Posts: 463 Maven
    Hi Vaclav,

you have to specify the 'rapidminer.home' environment variable when running Studio (with -Drapidminer.home="..."). The variable has to point to the RapidMiner Studio folder.

Cheers,
    Nils
  • aboltabolt Member Posts: 1 Contributor I

The problem of this is that it will only work in your computer, as the path to the installation folder may not be standard.

RapidMiner does not get the home only from the environment variables, but also from the System properties, such as in the PlatformUtilities class:

public static synchronized String getRapidMinerHome() {
    return System.getProperty(PROPERTY_RAPIDMINER_HOME);
    }

I do use RapidMiner from my application in this way. All you have to do is ask the user for the installation folder of RapidMiner and set it as:

System.setProperty("rapidminer.home", path_as_string);

Cheers,

Alfredo.