Options

[SOLVED] Type 'text' no longer available when importing data

juan7710juan7710 Member Posts: 11 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hi,
I am importing a csv file into my local repository. One of the fields is type 'text', but after upgrading to Rapidminer 7 I only find 'polynomial' as option, 'text' seems to have disappeared. However, I still need the 'text' option, as I have to map those text strings into nominal values, and the 'Text to Nominal' operator does exist, but 'Polynomial to Nominal' does not.
How can I change the type of the attribute to text when importing the data? Or, alternatively, how can I have a 'Polynomial to Nominal' conversion?
Thanks

Answers

• Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

If you want nominal as a result you can just stick with polynominal. Polynominal simply describes a string attribute with a nominal mapping and possibly n different strings where n = number of examples.
    There should be nothing that requires "nominal" input but denies polynominal.

Cheers,
    Marco
  • Options
    Hi Marco,
    actually, I am using the data set as input for a linear regression model, but the linear regression model does not accept polynominal inputs. So, I have to convert any text/polynominal attributes to nominal.
    Thanks
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi Juan,

linear regression is only excepting numerical input. So you need to transform polynominal inputs into numericals (integer, reals).

~Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Right. That's the problem. The process to import my csv file only allows me to define this attribute as polynominal. But there's no 'polynominal to numerical' operator. I could use a chain of 'polynominal to nominal' followed by 'nominal to numerical', but there's no  'polynominal to nominal'  operator either.

With RapidMiner 6 I had the option to import my csv using attribute type 'text'. Then I could chain 'text to nominal' followed by 'nominal to numerical'.

So, is there an option to transform a polynominal attribute into numerical or nominal with RapidMiner 7?

Thanks
  • Options
    David_ADavid_A Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 297 RM Research
    Hi,

the  'nominal to numerical'  Operator is called "Parse Numbers", that should do the trick.

Best,
    David
  • Options
    Sorry, but that's not my problem. My problem is to convert a polynomial attribute into either nominal or numerical.
  • Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

A polynominal attribute is always nominal. It is "nominal with many classes". Same as all reals are numericals.

To convert (Poly)nominals to numeric, you can use Nominal to Numerical.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    Hi Martin,

it works beautifully!!!!!

Thanks so much for the great tip, much appreciated