Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Remove or Disable operators

mituw16mituw16 Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help
Hello,

I am planning to allow some of my non developer coworkers use rapid miner studio on my desktop occasionally. I am concerned about the exce operators. Is there a way to remove / disable them? They work great for my work flows, but I don't trust my coworkers with such powerful operators.

Thanks

Answers

• MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,529 RM Data Scientist
    Hi,

why don't you have different user accounts on your computers? That would solve the issue.

Best,
    Martin
    - Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • mituw16mituw16 Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for responding.

If I added a second non administrator account on the machine, would that mean that the exec operators would no longer function? I know I can limit the permissions to the database on the database side, but I am more concerned about the exec script, program, and process for this conversation.

Thanks
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    Hi...to me this is a great reason to use RapidMiner Server. It has very good permission controls for data sets, processes, and apps (and of course within RM Server itself). I think it would be challenging to create permission controls on one machine like that.  RM Server also allows users to send/schedule processes to the server and keep working.

Scott
  • mituw16mituw16 Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
    I see, thanks for the reply sgenzer.

I thought about setting up a full RM server / client architecture, but decided against it as 98% of the time I am the only one who uses RM studio in my office. There are very very few times someone else needs to do anything in RM, but for those very few times, it makes me nervous about letting them have access to those operators. (Granted I'm not going to tell them they exist, but I never underestimate the stupidity of users)
  • sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager
    stupidity of users?  Never seen that before  :)

If you're the one using RM Studio 98% of the time, yes installing and maintaining RM Server probably does not make any sense.  If you're that nervous, you can also just backup the operator files somewhere and/or copy & "hide" them deep inside your local repository where users would be very unlikely to go (name it "tax filing"!)

Good luck!

Scott