Options

Development of new component in Eclipse

ezouliasezoulias Member Posts: 28 Maven
edited November 2018 in Help
Dear Sirs,

I have been a user of Rapid Miner 5 for a while and now I decided that I need to pass to develop my own components (trevial).
I downloaded the tutorial http://1xltkxylmzx3z8gd647akcdvov.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/How-to-Extend-RapidMiner-5.pdf
which seems quite analytic. I do have Java 1.7 and Eclipse but I missed something regarding the following points.

1. You mention on page 19 on top that "On your website we will find a tutorial how to check out the latest version of RapidMiner from the svn repository.". I can not find it, could you help me?
2. You mention that we can test if it starts by creating a debug configuration and starting the RapidMinerGUI class. How can I do that?
3. You mention that with this tutorial you got two zip, I can not find them. Do you have them?
4. What id RapidMiner_Venga that you have in picture 4.1? Is the source of RapidMiner for deployment?

Thank you in advance hoping that you will give the above point the proper attention and consideration.
Best regards,
Manolis
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    JEdwardJEdward RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 578 Unicorn
    Hi Manolis,

Things probably have moved around.  Googling RapidMiner svn directs me here:
    http://community.rapidminer.com/svn/

Which then directs to here: http://community.rapidminer.com/eclipse/ where the tutorial is.  

(Although you might want one of the RapidMiner team to confirm as I just noticed a forum post saying they have moved to git http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7023.0.html.  As far as I'm aware you can still use the subversion though. 
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

the tutorial is a bit outdated I'm afraid.

1) Use git instead. See here: http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,7023.0.html
    2) Once you checked out the RapidMiner project, you can use Eclipse to run it. RapidMinerGUI is the main gui class which starts up RapidMiner from inside your IDE.
    3) Check here for the extension template: https://github.com/rapidminer/rapidminer-extension-template
    4) RapidMiner_Vega was the codename for RapidMiner 5.1, as was RapidMiner_Unuk for 5.2, etc. Nothing special ;)

Regards,
    Marco
  • Options
    Thank you both for the answers right to the point.
    You are both great!

Manolis!
  • Options
    I follow your instructions and I managed to upload RapidMiner in Eclipse, but I got the following error messages.
    Any ideas?

Manolis
    Μαϊ 09, 2014 7:42:01 ΜΜ com.rapidminer.tools.ParameterService init
    INFO: Reading configuration resource com/rapidminer/resources/rapidminerrc.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:01 PM com.rapidminer.tools.I18N <clinit>
    INFO: Set locale to en.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:01 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: Property rapidminer.home is not set. Guessing.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:01 PM com.rapid_i.Launcher ensureRapidMinerHomeSet
    INFO: Trying base directory of classes (build) 'C:\Users\ezoulias\RapidMiner\RapidMiner_5_3_15'...gotcha!
    May 09, 2014 7:42:02 PM com.rapidminer.tools.plugin.Plugin registerPlugins
    INFO: Register plugin: Text Processing
    INFO: Register plugin: recommenders
    INFO: Register plugin: QuantX-1 Extension
    INFO: Register plugin: Weka
    INFO: Register plugin: LifeStyle Marketing
    INFO: Register plugin: Web Mining
    INFO: Register plugin: Anomaly Detection
    INFO: Register plugin: Series
    INFO: Register plugin: Reporting
    May 09, 2014 7:42:08 PM com.rapidminer.tools.expression.parser.ExpressionParserFactory <clinit>
    INFO: Default version of expression parser registered successfully
    May 09, 2014 7:42:10 PM com.rapidminer.parameter.ParameterTypePassword decryptPassword
    WARNING: Password in XML file looks like unencrypted plain text.
    FRED API Key (API Key.  Although FRED data is free to use and redistribute it does require an API key.  API keys can be obtained from api.stlouisfed.org/api_key.html)
    FRED API Key (API Key.  Although FRED data is free to use and redistribute it does require an API key.  API keys can be obtained from api.stlouisfed.org/api_key.html)
    May 09, 2014 7:42:21 PM com.rapidminer.tools.OperatorService init
    INFO: Number of registered operator classes: 681; number of registered operator descriptions: 807; number of replacements: 533
    May 09, 2014 7:42:21 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties <init>
    WARNING: Missing database driver class name for ODBC Bridge (e.g. Access)
    May 09, 2014 7:42:21 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties registerDrivers
    INFO: JDBC driver ca.ingres.jdbc.IngresDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:21 PM com.rapidminer.tools.jdbc.JDBCProperties registerDrivers
    INFO: JDBC driver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver not found. Probably the driver is not installed.
    [Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:37 PM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager <clinit>
    WARNING: Using a development build. Assuming platform independent version.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:37 PM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager$3 run
    INFO: Checking for updates.
    May 09, 2014 7:42:39 PM com.rapid_i.deployment.update.client.UpdateManager$3 run
    INFO: No updates since 4/29/14 11:44 PM.
    May 09, 2014 7:45:10 PM com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI$ShutdownHook run
    INFO: Running shutdown sequence.
    May 09, 2014 7:45:10 PM com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics save
    WARNING: Cannot save operator usage statistics: org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
    org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.createElement(Unknown Source)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.OperatorUsageStatistics.getXML(OperatorUsageStatistics.java:67)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics.getXML(UsageStatistics.java:283)
    at com.rapidminer.tools.usagestats.UsageStatistics.save(UsageStatistics.java:296)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.RapidMinerGUI$ShutdownHook.run(RapidMinerGUI.java:216)
    at com.rapidminer.RapidMiner.quit(RapidMiner.java:760)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.MainFrame.exit(MainFrame.java:1566)
    at com.rapidminer.gui.MainFrame.windowClosing(MainFrame.java:1597)
    at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.windowClosing(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
  • Options
    Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

I don't see any relevant errors in the log. Don't be scared of the [Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file, as this error is no actual error (message was removed in 6.0 and appeared when no database connections had been set up). The other exception about the OperatorUsageStatistics I have never seen, but the operator statistics are completely irrelevant for you (they were a tool for us to help gain insight in how and what operators were used). Should not break anything if they don't work for some reason.

Regards,
    Marco