Options

[SOLVED] Survival Analysis in RapidMiner -- Help Preparing Dataset

earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
edited November 2018 in Help
I teach a course of Data Mining in an MBA program. I have done it for several years now and I use RapidMiner as the main software program.

This year I want to introduce the topic of Survival Analysis in Data Mining. The main application is to model customer retention. I have searched this forum and I have concluded that the standard models for doing SA are not available and will not be available anytime soon.

That was bad news for me because I don't want to use two packages (I could use R). And then.... I found this magnificent paper by Singer & Willet on Discrete-Time Survival Analysis. http://gseacademic.harvard.edu/~willetjo/pdf%20files/Singer%20&%20Willett%201993.pdf

Bottom line: All you need is Logistic Regression. So far so good. There is a little problem. The dataset has to be put a specific format (the so called person-period format).

I'll explain with an example:

Suppose I have the following dataset:

id,month,event,x1,x2

id = patient's id
months = months to event or censoring time
event = 1 if event (death for instance) occurred , 0 if censored (at the time study finished event hadn't taken place)
x1, x2 are potential explanatory variables.

To be able to run the model suggested by Willet & Singer I need that dataset in the format below.

id,month,event,x1,x2

We want to create a separate observation for each period that each
person was observed, up to the year in which a patient
change occurred.

Thus persons who died in
year 1 contributed 1 person-year each; those who died
in year 6 (like individual 2) contributed 6 person-years.
The value of the variable event is 0 for the first 5 periods and
1 for the sixth period.

Censored individuals (those who were still alive at the study) as many periods as they were observed.
For instance, individual 5, contributes 5 periods. For all the periods observed
the variable event takes the value of 0.  

Help is greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    awchisholmawchisholm RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 458 Unicorn
    hello earmijo

I made a small process that you could use and modify as you need. It uses the Fill Data Gaps and Cartesian Product operators with some macros to control it.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="6.1.000">
      <context>
        <input/>
        <output/>
        <macros/>
      </context>
      <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" name="Process">
        <process expanded="true">
          <operator activated="true" class="generate_data_user_specification" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="Generate Data by User Specification" width="90" x="45" y="75">
            <list key="attribute_values">
              <parameter key="id" value="1"/>
              <parameter key="month" value="5"/>
              <parameter key="event" value="0"/>
              <parameter key="x1" value="0.19"/>
              <parameter key="x2" value="0.65"/>
            </list>
            <list key="set_additional_roles">
              <parameter key="month" value="id"/>
            </list>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="real_to_integer" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="76" name="Real to Integer" width="90" x="45" y="165">
            <parameter key="attribute_filter_type" value="subset"/>
            <parameter key="attributes" value="month|id"/>
            <parameter key="include_special_attributes" value="true"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="select_attributes" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="76" name="Select Attributes" width="90" x="179" y="120">
            <parameter key="attributes" value="month"/>
            <parameter key="include_special_attributes" value="true"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="extract_macro" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="60" name="Extract Macro" width="90" x="313" y="75">
            <parameter key="macro" value="maxMonth"/>
            <parameter key="macro_type" value="data_value"/>
            <parameter key="attribute_name" value="month"/>
            <parameter key="example_index" value="1"/>
            <list key="additional_macros"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="fill_data_gaps" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="76" name="Fill Data Gaps" width="90" x="447" y="75">
            <parameter key="use_gcd_for_step_size" value="false"/>
            <parameter key="start" value="1"/>
            <parameter key="end" value="%{maxMonth}"/>
          </operator>
          <operator activated="true" class="cartesian_product" compatibility="6.1.000" expanded="true" height="76" name="Cartesian" width="90" x="447" y="210"/>
          <connect from_op="Generate Data by User Specification" from_port="output" to_op="Real to Integer" to_port="example set input"/>
          <connect from_op="Real to Integer" from_port="example set output" to_op="Select Attributes" to_port="example set input"/>
          <connect from_op="Select Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_op="Extract Macro" to_port="example set"/>
          <connect from_op="Select Attributes" from_port="original" to_op="Cartesian" to_port="right"/>
          <connect from_op="Extract Macro" from_port="example set" to_op="Fill Data Gaps" to_port="example set input"/>
          <connect from_op="Fill Data Gaps" from_port="example set output" to_op="Cartesian" to_port="left"/>
          <connect from_op="Cartesian" from_port="join" to_port="result 1"/>
          <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
          <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
        </process>
      </operator>
    </process>
    regards

Andrew
  • Options
    earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
    Andrew:

Brilliant. Thank you very much. Although it took me a few hours to figure out how to extend your program ( I am that slow), I finally did it.

Here's the code in case anybody need to acomplish the same task. I'm not sure it's the most elegant or efficient code since I'm a rookie but it does the job. I'll try to turn it into a template and post it here.
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <process version="5.3.015">
     <context>
       <input/>
       <output/>
       <macros/>
     </context>
     <operator activated="true" class="process" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" name="Process">
         <operator activated="true" class="retrieve" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="60" name="Retrieve test" width="90" x="45" y="75">
           <parameter key="repository_entry" value="//Clases/test"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="set_role" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Set Role" width="90" x="179" y="75">
           <parameter key="target_role" value="id"/>
           <list key="set_additional_roles"/>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="loop_examples" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="94" name="Loop Examples" width="90" x="313" y="75">
             <operator activated="true" class="filter_example_range" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Filter Example Range" width="90" x="45" y="75">
               <parameter key="first_example" value="%{example}"/>
               <parameter key="last_example" value="%{example}"/>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="select_attributes" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Select Attributes" width="90" x="45" y="165">
               <parameter key="attributes" value="month|"/>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="subprocess" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Subprocess" width="90" x="179" y="210">
                 <operator activated="true" class="extract_macro" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="60" name="Extract Macro (2)" width="90" x="45" y="30">
                   <parameter key="macro" value="EventValue"/>
                   <parameter key="attribute_name" value="event"/>
                 </operator>
                 <operator activated="true" class="select_attributes" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Select Attributes (2)" width="90" x="45" y="120">
                   <parameter key="attribute_filter_type" value="single"/>
                   <parameter key="attribute" value="event"/>
                   <parameter key="invert_selection" value="true"/>
                 </operator>
                 <operator activated="true" class="generate_attributes" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Generate Attributes" width="90" x="179" y="120">
                   <list key="function_descriptions">
                     <parameter key="event" value="0"/>
                   </list>
                 </operator>
                 <connect from_port="in 1" to_op="Extract Macro (2)" to_port="example set"/>
                 <connect from_op="Extract Macro (2)" from_port="example set" to_op="Select Attributes (2)" to_port="example set input"/>
                 <connect from_op="Select Attributes (2)" from_port="example set output" to_op="Generate Attributes" to_port="example set input"/>
                 <connect from_op="Generate Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_port="out 1"/>
                 <portSpacing port="source_in 1" spacing="0"/>
                 <portSpacing port="source_in 2" spacing="0"/>
                 <portSpacing port="sink_out 1" spacing="0"/>
                 <portSpacing port="sink_out 2" spacing="0"/>
               </process>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="extract_macro" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="60" name="Extract Macro" width="90" x="179" y="30">
               <parameter key="macro" value="maxMonth"/>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="fill_data_gaps" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Fill Data Gaps" width="90" x="313" y="30">
               <parameter key="use_gcd_for_step_size" value="false"/>
               <parameter key="start" value="1"/>
               <parameter key="end" value="%{maxMonth}"/>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="cartesian_product" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Cartesian" width="90" x="313" y="165"/>
             <operator activated="true" class="set_data" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Set Data" width="90" x="447" y="30">
               <parameter key="example_index" value="%{maxMonth}"/>
               <parameter key="attribute_name" value="event"/>
               <parameter key="value" value="%{EventValue}"/>
               <list key="additional_values"/>
             </operator>
             <operator activated="true" class="set_role" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Set Role (2)" width="90" x="514" y="165">
               <list key="set_additional_roles"/>
             </operator>
             <connect from_port="example set" to_op="Filter Example Range" to_port="example set input"/>
             <connect from_op="Filter Example Range" from_port="example set output" to_op="Select Attributes" to_port="example set input"/>
             <connect from_op="Select Attributes" from_port="example set output" to_op="Extract Macro" to_port="example set"/>
             <connect from_op="Select Attributes" from_port="original" to_op="Subprocess" to_port="in 1"/>
             <connect from_op="Subprocess" from_port="out 1" to_op="Cartesian" to_port="right"/>
             <connect from_op="Extract Macro" from_port="example set" to_op="Fill Data Gaps" to_port="example set input"/>
             <connect from_op="Fill Data Gaps" from_port="example set output" to_op="Cartesian" to_port="left"/>
             <connect from_op="Cartesian" from_port="join" to_op="Set Data" to_port="example set input"/>
             <connect from_op="Set Data" from_port="example set output" to_op="Set Role (2)" to_port="example set input"/>
             <connect from_op="Set Role (2)" from_port="example set output" to_port="output 1"/>
             <portSpacing port="source_example set" spacing="0"/>
             <portSpacing port="sink_example set" spacing="0"/>
             <portSpacing port="sink_output 1" spacing="0"/>
             <portSpacing port="sink_output 2" spacing="0"/>
           </process>
         </operator>
         <operator activated="true" class="append" compatibility="5.3.015" expanded="true" height="76" name="Append" width="90" x="447" y="75"/>
         <connect from_op="Retrieve test" from_port="output" to_op="Set Role" to_port="example set input"/>
         <connect from_op="Set Role" from_port="example set output" to_op="Loop Examples" to_port="example set"/>
         <connect from_op="Loop Examples" from_port="output 1" to_op="Append" to_port="example set 1"/>
         <connect from_op="Append" from_port="merged set" to_port="result 1"/>
         <portSpacing port="source_input 1" spacing="0"/>
         <portSpacing port="sink_result 1" spacing="0"/>
         <portSpacing port="sink_result 2" spacing="0"/>
       </process>
     </operator>
    </process>
    Here's a link to the toy dataset:

https://db.tt/YdNiQ8rG
  • Options
    wilsonchuawilsonchua Member Posts: 3 Contributor I
    Is it possible to use the rapidminer Windowing Operator for this?