Problems with RapidMiner 5.315 and Java 8

Marco_StolpeMarco_Stolpe Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
edited December 2019 in Help
Hello, I hope it is appropriate to ask questions concerning the community edition of RapidMiner here. I'm using RapidMiner 5.3.015 with Java 8 on Mac OS Yosemite. Since the installation of Java 8, RapidMiner doesn't store any attribute names I have manually entered in operators like "Select Attributes". What I mean is that when I enter the name, switch to another operator and then back to "Select Attributes", the attribute name has disappeared from the field in the GUI and it is also not stored in the XML version of the process. However, I can manually add the tag to the XML version and it remains there.

Since the behavior could be reproduced under Ubuntu Linux with Java 8, it appears not just to be a problem with Mac OS, but with RapidMiner/Java 8.

Just wanted to inform you about it.

Tagged:

Answers

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

that bug does not occur in the latest RapidMiner Studio 6 version. For RapidMiner 5.3, the workaround is probably to enter a value, press Enter and/or select a different parameter and then continue working. It is an issue with the focus event system and a change in Java 8.

Regards,
    Marco
  • Marco_StolpeMarco_Stolpe Member Posts: 6 Contributor II
    In the past with errors of this type, pressing enter or setting the focus to another field usually worked. However, in this case, it doesn't, rendering RapidMiner with Java 8 almost unusable for me. Now that I know that it is not caused by Mac OS, but the version of Java, I'll better switch back to Java 7. I just could imagine that others switching to Java 8 in the future might have the same problem, which was the reason why I posted my observation in the forum.
  • Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,993 RM Engineering
    Hi,

completely unrelated, but seeing you're working with RapidMiner 5 and are from a university:
    Did you read the newsletter about the new RapidMiner Academia program to get access to RapidMiner Studio 6?

Regards,
    Marco
  • earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
    I teach a course on Data Mining using Rapidminer. First recommendation : Upgrade from Java 6 to Java 7. Downgrade from Java 8 to Java 7. Problems fixed.
  • earmijoearmijo Member Posts: 270 Unicorn
    Yes. I was delighted when I heard the news. I applied immediately and got approved but the licences haven't arrived.

My course started on Monday and I had to make the decision to use 5.03  this semester.  I have created a detailed set of video tutorial (in Spanish) for 5.03 (link here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzMw_44KVqI8U4Kn0HMbtvAaJQd3nqiK7. Switching in the middle of the course would create some confusion.

I'll redo the tutorials for the new version for my next class.