Due to recent updates, all users are required to create an Altair One account to login to the RapidMiner community. Click the Register button to create your account using the same email that you have previously used to login to the RapidMiner community. This will ensure that any previously created content will be synced to your Altair One account. Once you login, you will be asked to provide a username that identifies you to other Community users. Email us at Community with questions.

Write Excel restriction to 256 attributes

limegreenman900limegreenman900 Member Posts: 26 Contributor II
edited November 2018 in Help

Hi,

I am trying to export my results of the following process to an excel file:

Process Documents from File (within here some text modification operators) -> Data to Similarity -> Similarity to Data -> Write Excel.

So basically I have around 3,000 files that I want to compare with each other. The process runs fine, until I get to the Write Excel operator (without the operator I can see my results in the RM results view). When reaching the Write to Excel operator I get an error message like "Maximum size reached, only 256 attributes supported". I know that Excel is supporting over 1 Million rows and up to 16000 columns, so what is the point here? I also tried "Generate Report " -> "Report". Although this approach is executed properly, it limits the amount of rows/columns also to 256.... Anyone an idea how to get a matrix of 3,500x3,500 into an excel file after the similarity operation?

Any help appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Solution Accepted

Hi,

are you trying to write into the old xls format? This indeed supported less columns and rows than the new xlsx format...

I just tested with RapidMiner 7.1. and it outputs 500 columns easily...

Greetings, 

Sebastian

Answers

• limegreenman900limegreenman900 Member Posts: 26 Contributor II

Indeed, you're right. I had a look at excel limitations and for xls only 256 columns were supported. I'll check my process later on, could be that I chose xls without thinking about this...

• Marco_BoeckMarco_Boeck Administrator, Moderator, Employee, Member, University Professor Posts: 1,996 RM Engineering

Hi,

sounds indeed like you are using a slightly older version of RapidMiner Studio. The latest version automatically preselects .xlsx as output format (as opposed to .xls which had a limit of 256 columns). But you can change your operator manually by changing the "file format" parameter to xlsx.

Regards,

Marco