Options

Cross-Validation returns different model

mark42mark42 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I
edited November 2018 in Help

Hello,

I am using RapidMiner Studio 7.2.002 and recognized something strange after training libSVM (nu-SVC, linear kernel) classifier within X-Validation and outside X-Validation (with the same parameters): the output models are different! According to the documentation of the X-Validation operator the output model is trained on the whole example set, which would be the same as just using the libSVM training.

Do I miss anything or why are these models different although the operators, parameter and data are the same?

Best
Mark

Answers

• Options
    MartinLiebigMartinLiebig Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, University Professor Posts: 3,507 RM Data Scientist

Hi Mark,

the only way i can imagine that this one happens is that their is a randomness in the algorithm or the starting points of the optimization make a difference. I've tested it on sonar and saw no difference - but that might not be that meaningful.

Are you doing some kind of preprocessing inside x-val which might be different?

~martin

- Sr. Director Data Solutions, Altair RapidMiner -
    Dortmund, Germany
  • Options
    mark42mark42 Member Posts: 2 Contributor I

Hi Martin,

I don't use any preprocessing inside the X-Validation: only libSVM, Apply Model and Performance Classification (Accuracy).  The data and parameters are the same.

Best

Mark