"Geo-localization (tweets) and country trends"

francesca_ruisifrancesca_ruisi Member Posts: 6 Contributor I
edited June 2019 in Help

Dear All,

I need to solve two issues:

1. to find the best way to collect tweets hashtag-based including geo-coordinates in the 100% of cases

2. to monitor key-trends in a due country for around 7 days (one week)

Thank you in advance to all :) 

Answers

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @francesca_ruisi - welcome to the community.  May I assume that you have tried using the advanced parameters with the Search Twitter operator?

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 4.50.34 PM.png

If not, please post your XML process (see "Read Before Posting" on right) and we can go from there.

Scott

• francesca_ruisifrancesca_ruisi Member Posts: 6 Contributor I

Dear Sgenzer,

thank you for your reply.

Actually I tried to collect tweets by using Search tweets but the final output did not satisfy me since the number of collected tweets has been few (a couple of hundreds) compared to other tools that I used before. 

Could you tell me why?

I really thank you for your feedback

Francesca

• sgenzersgenzer Administrator, Moderator, Employee, RapidMiner Certified Analyst, Community Manager, Member, University Professor, PM Moderator Posts: 2,959 Community Manager

hello @francesca_ruisi - I have no real way of telling you why you are getting fewer search results vs "other tools" as I have no idea what you are doing in both this method and in your other tools.  In principle everything is going to the same place: the Twitter API engine.  The RapidMiner Twitter operators just make it easy to consume the APIs; the data would be the same if you did it "the hard way" using Enrich Data via Webservice, Get Pages, or cURL and then parse the JSON yourself.

Scott

Dear Scott,

thank you for your kind reply :) 

Actually I plausibly understood which could be the reason and as you said lies on the Twitter API limitations themselves.

Consequently, I wish to kindly ask you one thing concering the Search Tweets operator. Is it based on user location as by user declared or on geo coordinates stored by Twitter directly?

that's a good question - I don't know the answer.  I'm sure it's in the Twitter API documentation somewhere.  My hunch is that it's by geo-located IP address...

Scott

• Edin_KlapicEdin_Klapic Moderator, Employee, RMResearcher, Member Posts: 299 RM Data Scientist

Hi @francesca_ruisi,

I am not 100%, if I understood you correctly. Do you want to know how the geo-location is defined?

From the API documentation (https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/tweets/data-dictionary/overview/geo-objects#coordinates-dictionary) I extracted the following lines:

Tweets can be associated with a location, generating a Tweet that has been ‘geo-tagged.’ Tweet locations can be assigned by using the Twitter user-interface or when posting a Tweet using the API. Tweet locations can be an exact ‘point’ location, or a Twitter Place with a ‘bounding box’ that describes a larger area ranging from a venue to an entire region.

There are two ‘root-level’ JSON objects used to describe the location associated with a Tweet: coordinates and place.

In this case the geo-location is related to the place where the tweet has been sent and if this has been activated by the "tweeter".

Best regards,

Edin

thank you Scott!

I will try to go deeper and discover the answer..in case someone knows here it could be really appreciated! :) 

Dear Edin,

thank you for your kind clarification. I will go deeper into the issues by carefully testing new data about.

Really thank you again!