Options

"RapidMiner tutorial stuff"

ftgoftgo Member Posts: 9 Contributor II
edited May 2019 in Help
Hi all,

I think some folks here will agree with me: imho, Rapidminer needs more detailed tutorials to the general community.
I know that there is an extensive tutorial, which I have read, though this is still not enough if you would try to "tame" this tool (excelent, by the way) without having to experiment exhaustively. Some operators are obscure on its usage, operators description are too short, among others

There is some other detailed tutorial out there? Some free material from training courses, for example.

Thanks in advance.
Felipe.

Answers

• Options
    landland RapidMiner Certified Analyst, RapidMiner Certified Expert, Member Posts: 2,531 Unicorn
    Hi Felipe,
    I aggree, that RapidMiner needs a more detailed tutorial and I aggree also, that some operator descriptions are less helpfull than they could be. And we really would like to write something, extend the wiki or simply build a newer tutorial. BUT: Unfortunately we haven't enough manpower to work constantly on this. Probably this is a general problem of "excelent" open-source programs: Since they are very inexpensive, or rather: free, one cannot pay someone writing the documentation.
    So all I can do is to give the question back to the community: All of you recieve this programm for free, so please give back something by helping others! We provide a Wiki http://wiki.rapid-i.com/, where everyone could write down his experiences.

Greetings,
      Sebastian
  • Options
    Slyjoker87Slyjoker87 Member Posts: 8 Contributor II
    (Edit for clarity)

It would be nice if there were a guide to learning the statistical knowledge. One thing that comes to mind is the math and logic intensive nature of the program.  I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like these algorithms require at least a post graduate understanding of statistics and/or logic. Maybe a crash course in these fields would help?
  • Options
    haddockhaddock Member Posts: 849 Maven
    Hi,

I gave up trying to teach myself, life's too short and the documentation is prepared only for alien life forms. I'd really recommend Ralf the Klink's course, cool guy, good communicator. It worked for me... I now know that I understand nothing, and am happy to suborn my intuition to the imperatives of the data!

http://rapid-i.com/content/view/89/156/lang,en/

Pip Pip
  • Options
    steffensteffen Member Posts: 347 Maven
    Edit: Haddock sneaked in while I was typing ... but since the time is already spent, I post it not matter what

Hello

Common topic popping up in the forums, just another topic for a lengthy wiki article ... so much plans, so less time *sigh*... whatever...

Just to clarification, RapidMiner is a tool for a science called "Data Mining" (which has been evolved from statistics). Hence it is assumed that you have at least a basic knowledge in the field. First it is easier to identify the required steps (terms etc.) and second it allows you to understand all the pitfalls and limitations of the algorithms you can find here. In fact, I thought before about writing a quick tutorial regarding Data Mining, but I am not sure what parts to skip without loosing valuable information.

Enough blabla, here is a link to an old thread pointing to some books:
    http://rapid-i.com/rapidforum/index.php/topic,145.0.html

If you are able to find a short online tutorial which really helped you, feel free to post the link here or send a PM. I am eager to know ;)

Edit: Haddock is correct: You can learn the basic ideas from mentioned books, but to get the maximum value you need a teacher with experience.

kind regards,

Steffen